Thread: [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

Just burned his ISO

Default [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

On my notebook ("Asus G73S" which is extremely new and has a built-in Nvidia GTX460M) the console is spamming 1-2x per second errormessages like this one:
    [xx.xxxxx] [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:
    where the xx.xxxxx in the beginning of the line is numbers which are continually increasing.
    I need to press CTRL+C to see the root-prompt and (if I am fast enough) I am able to enter "startx" (or any other command) and press enter. If I don't do that within 0.5 seconds, the prompt disappears and the console
    continues to flood me with the above mentioned errormessages.
    After successfully executing startx I can use the terminal within KDE (and there I don't have this problem).
    My question: What is this massive amount of errormessages and how do I get rid of them? Is my notebook incompatible with BT5??

P.S. Tryed 64-bit and 32-bit version of the LiveDVD, same error with both of them on this hardware.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

After ages, the moderators finally approved my thread. In the meantime i found out at least something about this issue:
    - EDID is a kind of informationstring which is published by the LCDs (in this case, the built-in screen of the notebook)
    - The way how BT is polling for EDID (and handling the result) is implemented totally noobish and buggy. It simply doesn't work with a lot of displays, escpecially those built-in LCDs in newer notebooks.
    - I didn't find a solution/patch
    - I found a workaround:

echo 0 > /sys/module/drm_kms_helper/parameters/poll

This stops polling for hotplug-devices, therefore also stops polling+missinterpreting the EDID of the display, therefore stops flooding useless errormessages.
    Does anybody have a more sane solution?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

I was having the same issue and had to create an account just to thank you for this workaround softize...until there is an actual solution this definitely does save my sanity