Thread: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

Default Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

After four months of lobbying, my boss has signed up me and a few coworkers for the Pentesting with Backtrack course. Within the eight taking the class there are varying levels of familiarity with the tools and techniques mentioned in the syllabus ranging from myself, who is the one actual pentester in the group, all the way down to our junior linux admin who is fresh from college. I've been tasked with getting everyone up to speed on the generals of pentesting (ie, the boss doesn't want anyone failing). My copy of Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide is getting passed around and I've made the OSSTMM mandatory so everyone is on the same page when it comes to methodologies. I've also set up a couple vulnerable practice machines on a test network for them to poke at. The suggested reading thread on these forums has also been sent out, but I have a feeling it's a bit overwhelming for the newer folks. I am largely self taught and have picked up things over the course of several years so I don't have any one good source for knowledge on this subject.

My questions are:

You're on a desert island, you can pick one book about pen testing to take with you, what is it?

What kinds of environments should I have them practicing on? Local clients with a standard firewall/proxy set up? Web servers? Databases?

Finally, am I being overly concerned and should I just back off and let them take the class?

Thanks.
    Computer security is a temporary condition.

Default 回覆: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

@Renek,

I have no previous experience in Penetration Testing before taking the course. The course materials provide all the basic essential knowledge for the students.

I suggest to allow your colleague to do the lab themself as they will learn how to do the job. Too much help or assistance is not recommended. They will learn a lot from doing the lab if they solve the problems themselves.

The good source of learning materials are the course materials and the Google.

May I suggest my course view of the Penetration Testing with BackTrack (PWB)?

Part One
    Part Two

Samiux

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: 回覆: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    @Renek,

I have no previous experience in Penetration Testing before taking the course. The course materials provide all the basic essential knowledge for the students.

I suggest to allow your colleague to do the lab themself as they will learn how to do the job. Too much help or assistance is not recommended. They will learn a lot from doing the lab if they solve the problems themselves.

The good source of learning materials are the course materials and the Google.

May I suggest my course view of the Penetration Testing with BackTrack (PWB)?

Part One
    Part Two

Samiux

so, now then you finish the course, how do you discribe yourself talking about level experience? basic, medium, or advanced?

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: 回覆: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

so, now that you have finished the course, how do you describe your level of experience in pentesting? low medium or advanced

Default Re: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

@robernight,

I may describe myself as basic only as I need to learn more and more.

Samiux

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: Re: Questions for those that have taken the first Off Sec course

any advice? because i'm saviing money to take the course at the end of this year

If you Google for Penetration Testing With Backtrack reviews, you'll get a lot of results from various people who've taken it. Here's a four part review: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/category/7/40/24/

@Renek,
    did you look into Muts' PDF he published (intended or not) a while ago? I think it covers a lot of the Offsec course. It is somehow called "Offensive Security Labs". I saw his PDF hanging in the Google-Index, you should find it.

@Samiux,
    I do not know if it was your blog, but I read your Tutorial on how to use Tor for freenode-connections. There is a typo in your sample-commands, on /sasl setTorrified... I think you meant /sasl set Torrified...

@L21ZIFER,

Fixed, thanks.

Samiux

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Taking the course now, and about halfway through. I agree that keeping the help to a minimum will take your co-workers further in the long run. A big part of the course is learning to think outside-the-box, and problem solving. The course materials are excellent.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...