Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: If your folders are NOT shared, can you access them over a wireless network

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default If your folders are NOT shared, can you access them over a wireless network

    I have used Backtrack 2 on windows (using VMPlayer) to find the Key to my encrpted wireless router. I can access my internet connection.

    My question is this:

    if the folders on my PC are not shared can I or someone be able to access them once they have gain access to my wireless network.

  2. #2
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrigg View Post
    I have used Backtrack 2 on windows (using VMPlayer) to find the Key to my encrpted wireless router. I can access my internet connection.

    My question is this:

    if the folders on my PC are not shared can I or someone be able to access them once they have gain access to my wireless network.
    that is a extremely complex and broad question.The answer is YES but it takes more than your average sqript kiddie know how. A fully patched and firewalled xp box that is not a server and is not running any "listning" services is pretty hard to crack but It can be done.If a attacker can get you to visit a malicious link or open a email its GAME OVER. So the answer is no one is ever really secure but if you stay on top of the game you will be fairely safe.I visit bug traq and security focus every day and check my services fo new vunerabilitys

  3. #3
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrigg View Post
    if the folders on my PC are not shared can I or someone be able to access them once they have gain access to my wireless network.
    By default, no. However, with a little bit of work, they can.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    By default, no. However, with a little bit of work, they can.
    Could you suggest some areas I could read up on and any tools which would be needed - to start me off.

    thanks

  5. #5
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrigg View Post
    Could you suggest some areas I could read up on and any tools which would be needed - to start me off.

    thanks
    Even given the situation you have mentioned, that is a very broad question. It depends on many different factors.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •