Ladies/Gents,

I spent a little bit of time working out a solution for getting WICD and network-manager to play nice with each other, and I figured it would be worth sharing. I have tested this successfully on both the liveusb version I customized with my Back|Track CustomiZation Script as well as a harddrive installation. If you're much like me you can appreciate having things permanently installed on a liveusb, versus having to do them each time with each reboot when yer not using a persistant install on the usb.

First up, I figure I'll answer the question of why anyone would care? IPv6!.... Currently, WICD does not provide support for IPv6 whereas network-manager does.

That being said, here is a guide on the process needed to get WICD and network-manager working in harmony.
  1. Code:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install network-manager-gnome
  2. Code:
    rm /etc/network/interfaces

Note --> The file mentioned above will recreate itself, you are deleting it to make this fix work.  Once you have done the initial delete, you shouldn't have to bother with it again.  In truth, you could go into it and comment out stuff, I just find a deletion a quicker method due to the fact that it doesn't break anything, and it recreates itself with minimal stuff in it.  I'm not sure why it works, I just know that if it has anything other than "lo" listed for an interface it breaks my fix.
  3. Modify /etc/init/network-manager.conf and comment out the Start line, on my file it had some stuff written in parenthesis that went to a second line..... Ensure you comment out both lines up until the Stop line. If this case is the same for you...Here is an example

#Start (foo
    # 123)
    Stop

This is done so that the network-manager service does NOT autostart when booting.
  4. Code:
    rm /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
    This is done to prevent the nm-applet from autoloading after launching X.

After that you should be good to go. Now, depending on what you what to launch here are the steps for WICD or network-manager launching.

If you want to use WICD, proceed as you normally would... I prefer the command line so i do the following
Code:
wicd;wicd-client &;exit
If you want to launch the network-manager applet (much like the GUI icon for WICD) do:
Code:
service network-manager start;nm-applet &;exit

Cheers!

p.s. MODS,

I can't seem to post to the how-to section for some reason. I would have dropped this there, but alas....Here it is, feel free to move this post.

Pffbt..