Thread: Preset boot options

Just burned his ISO

Default Preset boot options

I'm currently running BackTrack 2 off a usb stick and would like to set some default boot options that work best with my laptop, e.g. Normally i type "bt irqpoll" at the "boot:" prompt, i would like to automate this, skipping the prompt and automatically entering the boot options. Is it possible to do this?

http://backtrack.offensive-security....k_from_windows

Might be helpful, I dunno. If that doesn't help, do some looking around here and the wiki. I think this has been discussed before.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeblat View Post
    I'm currently running BackTrack 2 off a usb stick and would like to set some default boot options that work best with my laptop, e.g. Normally i type "bt irqpoll" at the "boot:" prompt, i would like to automate this, skipping the prompt and automatically entering the boot options. Is it possible to do this?
    I will write this assuming that you will be doing it in windows as I have found the linux version of this is unreliable.

navigate to your USB drive open the boot folder and then the syslinux folder.
    Open syslinux.cfg in worpad as notepad does not display it correctly.

once open you will see this
    Code:
    PROMPT 1
    TIMEOUT 400
    DEFAULT bt

label bt
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append vga=0x317 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw

label btsafe
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append vga=769 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw

label memtest86
    kernel /boot/memtest86p
    Now there are two ways of doing this, either you can make a new section and call it something like bt1 and do the mod,in which case you will have to type bt1 at bootup. This way if you put it after the bt section if you were to use the usb drive on another computer that does not need those codes it will boot as it is now. Or if you don't think you will need it, or don't mind undoing this process you can just edit the bt section to this.

label bt
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append irqpoll vga=0x317 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw
    save that making sure that no extra extension gets added.

open a command prompt navigate to the boot folder on the usb stick and run bootinst.bat following the instructions making sure that it has got the drive letter right.

And if all went well that's it done.

If you get an error while running bootinst.bat let me know what it is and I will tell you how to get round that.

Reboot and it should now start up automagically inserting irqpoll for you.

BTW this process can be used for any of the bootcodes that you have to use, and if you need to use multiple codes just put a space between them.

Good Luck

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, everything worked perfectly first time. I've set up my usb stick to book with acpi=off for my laptop to work correctly, and I can type "default" to boot using standard options. Here's my syslinux.cfg file for use as a reference for anyone else.

PROMPT 1
    TIMEOUT 400
    DEFAULT bt

label bt
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append acpi=off vga=0x317 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw

label default
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append vga=0x317 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw

label btsafe
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    append vga=769 max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444 root=/dev/ram0 rw

label memtest86
    kernel /boot/memtest86p

Good to hear it worked for you

And I like the way you added the extra option too

Cool

Had the same issue and would like to thank BP for his post.
    Works well

Your Welcome