Thread: Permission issues with LIVE CD

Just burned his ISO

Default Permission issues with LIVE CD

Hi.. first of all thankx for back|track2. its definitely a great piece of art. awesome collection of tools i must add.

the issue i face is that the disk mounts as read only. firstly i tried to chmod it but soon realized that this wont help.. some of the previous threads did help. But still no go. Have already tried ntfs-3g but still wont work.
    my hdd partitions still remain as ro. maybe m doing some silly mistake, but cant figure out what it is..

tried both;
    ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    & mount -t ntfs-3g ...
    have not installed on HDD but booting BT2 using live cd.

read somewhere that can change rc.d scripts on startup and remake the live disk but dont think i would need to go that far.

have tried searching the forum but sorry if i missed this issue & its solution. in that case accept my apologies for a duplicate issue.

Default ntfs do not write

The ntfs filesystem cannot be written to reliably outside Windows.

Linux (and BSD Unix) can mount an nt filesystem but the configuration is set to read-only for your own protection.

Corruption may occur otherwise.

If you wish to experiment long-term with a Windows system accessible from Linux/Unix you should reinstall Windows on a FAT filesystem.
    Lux sit

Developer

If you could explain what it is your trying to acomplish maby I can help

Just burned his ISO

the partition i my trying to mount as read-write doesnt have windows installed on it. its just a logical partition. so there cant be any issues with windows. m just trying to see why it wouldnt mount it in rw mode. couldnt understand what is that i m doing wrong, so curious to find out.

You should try unmounting the device first. BT mounts all your partitions, default. Since it uses the kernel driver to mount ntfs, it's mounted read-only. You are headed in the right direction with "mount -t ntfs-3g".

To see what partitions are mounted "mount" all by itself.
    To not mount any partitions, at the boot prompt "bt nohd"

The ntfs filesystem cannot be written to reliably outside Windows.
    This statement is no longer true. I've moved 15gig folders around on ntfs drives with no problems using ntfs-3g.

Post the actual command you are using and any error messages. Also post the results of "mount".

Good Luck