Thread: cant boot bt5 properly

Hybrid View

Banned

Unhappy cant boot bt5 properly

Long time listener, first time caller-
    I've been dual booting BT4r2/WinXPsp3 on my MSI p600, since r2 came out. I recently bought a Lenovo t520 and thought I'd upgrade to BT5r2/Win7 on it however I can't seem to get a bootable disc to function for BT5r2. I've DL'd BT5r2 onto windows, using MagicISO to manage the burn, reboot the disc and it goes to 'Root#' with no accessible commands. I've tried burning the ISO straight over as well as extracting the files for burn, same results. I'm obviously missing something easy there....

Since I'd been having issues with pounding my n00bface on my n00bdesk I went ahead and installed my old BT4r2 to dual boot with Win7. However I can't seem to manage getting it to acknowledge my wireless card. When running "Root@bt# Airmon-ng" no results show, empty space under Interface. I've also tried @bt#Wicd start", duh, as well as "@btdpkg reconfigure wicd//////Update-rc.d wicd defaults". All with no luck.

I've been searching for a few days now, for each of these issues and I love the threads I've found:
    Post 1- "Hey guys, Problem X. Please Help"
    Post 2- "No one offered help during the time it took to refresh the page?!! Eff you guys, rawrawrawr!!"
    Post 3- "Figured it out, bye"

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell this caveman how to make fire again...
    And I already appreciate everyone's effort to get Backtrack this far!
    ilu guys

Banned

Default Re: cant boot bt5 properly

I can't edit my post? Replying bumps threads? ugh :P
    Either way, just wanted to clarify that I'm trying to put KDE64 onto my i5's; ThinkPad T520i (4239).

While I'm here; on a sidenote: While here for the last few days I went ahead and read the FAQ pages including "Differences between Gnome and KDE"- http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=40356. I'll be honest and say that I had no clue as to what the differences might be and, after reading that post, still have no idea..

The difference between GNOME and KDE is at this point mainly a graphical one. They use the same API calls but different libraries underneath. If you like the windows look, go KDE. If not, go GNOME. As for your problem, have you checked the MD5 checksum on your downloaded ISO to verify the disk's integrity? Sometimes that can cause issues.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Banned

I just confirmed the MD5 using HashCalc; 6d5996df868dfe9c31aad234187ad7d0

Any other idea's would be greatly appreciated!

Just burned his ISO

You've probably already tried this, but just to make sure, did you try startx?

Does the wireless card show up under ifconfig? Do you know what chipset it is?

Airmon-ng" no results show
    I think you have an Intel card, in which case this may help: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=47477

Can't help with the boot problem, other than to observe that it sounds more like a "burn" issue than a BT issue.