Thread: Need help REALLY quick, Easy one

Just burned his ISO

Default Need help REALLY quick, Easy one

Hey everyone,

I have a real easy question for you all. I am trying to ping a server ip, then from there bounce that ping to yahoo.com. Like ping from my pc to google then from google to yahoo. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

It is probably easy to find on google but my wording is horrible and I havent had any luck. If anyone can help me out that would be great!

I am hoping to find out soon, it is for work. Thank you ALL!!!

I cannot think of any reason why you would need to do this

Can you explain the situation and reason in more detail so as I know why.

Then perhaps you may get an answer

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bloopy901 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a real easy question for you all. I am trying to ping a server ip, then from there bounce that ping to yahoo.com. Like ping from my pc to google then from google to yahoo. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

It is probably easy to find on google but my wording is horrible and I havent had any luck. If anyone can help me out that would be great!

I am hoping to find out soon, it is for work. Thank you ALL!!!
    Sounds like you want to do a proxy ping?

For what porpoise?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Well, its for my work. I am one of the IT there, I am entry level. Anyways, one of out users cannot get to our e-gate VPN page. He can surf the internet and i thought his https was blocked but that is good. So i finally thought of doing a trace route(on windows) to our server and it turned out that one of the servers from his isp is timing out when trying to get to our VPN server.

So I want to ping the server that is timing out then bounce it to like... yahoo and then our VPN server to verify that it isnt going though.

I tried comcast already and they wont even admit anything untill you get to 3rd level support, which takes DAYYYYS. I am hoping to get out users problem solved asap.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bloopy901 View Post
    Well, its for my work. I am one of the IT there, I am entry level. Anyways, one of out users cannot get to our e-gate VPN page. He can surf the internet and i thought his https was blocked but that is good. So i finally thought of doing a trace route(on windows) to our server and it turned out that one of the servers from his isp is timing out when trying to get to our VPN server.

So I want to ping the server that is timing out then bounce it to like... yahoo and then our VPN server to verify that it isnt going though.

I tried comcast already and they wont even admit anything untill you get to 3rd level support, which takes DAYYYYS. I am hoping to get out users problem solved asap.

Thanks!
    A traceRoute should be able to do exactly what you need. I have seen websites that will allow you to do a traceroute from their sitehost to any address you give it (I did write one a few years ago but it's been long dismantled).
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I don't buy it
    If you were from your company IT department it is very easy to get to level 3 support or higher. Even an end user can do that in minutes,with skill, I have done it as a end user in less than 15 mins and getting them to call me back. As someone from an IT department I can get put straight through or get them to call me back straight away.
    I know I am not the only one here that can do that, so your explanation just doesn't sit right, as far as I am concerned.

After thinking about this for a bit, I can't even figure out if you could do what you're asking, what is it going to tell you about the problem? All you're going to do is see if Yahoo can ping Google? It doesn't tell you anything about the actual client PC connecting to either one of them.

Default not possible no route

What you intend is not possible since a ping request is not routable unless via a pseudo-proxy and neither google nor yahoo servers should not be used.

It is possible (as before mentioned) to initiate a web-based traceroute or even to initiate a simple ping from anywhere on the planet outside your firewalls.

Penetration attempts or forensics need to be founded on sound principles which I am sure your own principals will assist you with. You might investigate ssh and sshgate configuration first.

If you require assistance with any other programs or scripts in the BT collection please write again.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Like I said, I am entry level in the IT world. I am just thinking of stuff that might work. But thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    After thinking about this for a bit, I can't even figure out if you could do what you're asking, what is it going to tell you about the problem? All you're going to do is see if Yahoo can ping Google? It doesn't tell you anything about the actual client PC connecting to either one of them.
    sure it doesn't tell you anything but it in turn triggers Google's and Yahoo's Nuclear M.A.D. computers to snap countdown.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.