Quote Originally Posted by James2k View Post
Recently I've been trying to get the i915 graphic driver loaded in the new 3.2.6 kernel. After upgrading from R1 > R2 I noticed that the new kernel does not seem to load the i915 driver on boot where as the older 2.6.39.4 kernel loaded it automatically. The new kernel remains functional however in my case my Dell XPS 15z laptop graphic session was stuck at 1280 x 1024, which for a screen that has 1920 x 1080 native resolution, looks quite ugly and bad.
HI there,

First of all, let me thank you for your work, both for discovering all this and for putting it all together in this guide.

I also have a Dell XPS 15z laptop with 1920 x 1080 native resolution (which I currently cannot use), so when I stumbled here, I thought it was the solution I needed. I am trying to get this to work with kernel version 3.8.2 but I cant get past the first step. I can add the extra info to grub
Code:
i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force
But if i take out
Code:
nomodeset
the boot freezes with the message:
Code:
[Firmware Bug]: ACPI(PEGP) defines _DOD but not _DOS
I should mention that I could only see this message adding
Code:
no splash
to the grub command line. Otherwise, the screen just goes dark and "frozen".

Most posts I see about this "freezing during boot" problem consider the problem "solved" by adding nomodeset to grub. I don't call that a solution at all since it leaves me stuck with VESA.

Any thoughts?

Thaks in advance,
Marcelo