Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PPA's

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: [GUIDE] Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PP

Good call, I removed the 'fix-splash' from i915-2.sh.

Quote Originally Posted by James2k View Post
    Great I'll update the wget line in the original thread! Regarding boot splash I believe the vga parameter needs to be set on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line (e.g. vga=791) for it to work, however the vga parameter will conflict with the i915 module in this instance. Not everyone likes boot splash so it might be advisable to not make the script automatically run it (I personally don't use it due to my encryption setup), it should be a user preference I think.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: [GUIDE] Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PP

Quote Originally Posted by bishop379 View Post
    I just want to say you guys are awesome, running like a clock now. I executed the script that Landon made based on James2k's fix, it worked flawlessly. Graphics are top of the line now........................thanks again fellas!
    Your very welcome , thanks for taking the time to report back!

Just burned his ISO

After two days of unsupported packet installing and kernel recompiling resulting in a complete updating and versioning hell I stumbled into this thread.

I wanted to thank you guys for helping me to solve this issue in such a simple way. Said steps are working flawlessly on Macbook air 4,2 just for others to know.
    Now it's time for the keyboard lights, fn keys and some powersaving tricks. I will post a specifical guide for BT5 and Macbook air as soon as i'm up and running.
    Great work!

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bareem View Post
    After two days of unsupported packet installing and kernel recompiling resulting in a complete updating and versioning hell I stumbled into this thread.

I wanted to thank you guys for helping me to solve this issue in such a simple way. Said steps are working flawlessly on Macbook air 4,2 just for others to know.
    Now it's time for the keyboard lights, fn keys and some powersaving tricks. I will post a specifical guide for BT5 and Macbook air as soon as i'm up and running.
    Great work!
    Cool man, glad it worked. About the Macbook, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2 might help. However, some of the steps on that page include adding unsupported PPA's (which I'm not a fan of). On my GF's Macbook 4.-1, I installed BT5-R1 using packages from the default BackTrack Repositories without any problems. Let me know how that works out for ya. Probably can open up a new thread for that.

Thumbs up Re: [GUIDE] Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PP

after doing a LOT of searching I found this thread! which I am sure It will work, however, grub IS NOT installed on my backtrack installation, only on a separate boot partition (managed by Arch Linux). How can I rebuild the initramfs and update the kernel parameters?

Backtrack boots fine (it got auto-detected after running grub-mkconfig -like update-grub but for Arch Linux-) but I dont know where to add the kernel parameters and rebuild the initramfs so grub notices and apply the changes.

Thanks a lot for the how to!!!

EDIT: I managed to work this out, I needed to add a custom entry into the Arch Linux grub bootloader.

Thanks again for the howto
    Last edited by 655321; 04-04-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: additional info

Wink Re: [GUIDE] Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PP

Thankyou!
    Between a friend and I we have been looking for a fix for this problem for the better part of 2 months. Confirmed working! Thankyou.

I followed the instructions on the first post, and it worked like a charm! Thank you.

A little background, I am using the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, BT5R2 KDE 64. Intel Video, and ATI. For the last two months a good friend and I have been trying all kinds of ideas to figure this thing out. The screen real estate is important isn't it. But your fix worked perfectly.

Sorry for the double post
    Last edited by charonsecurity; 04-18-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Just burned his ISO

It doesn't work on my Lenovo as just after "modprobe i915 modeset=1" the screen goes blank and remain like that and if i blindly type startx the screen flickers but still doesn't return.
    My backtrack install didn't have the xorg.conf file and the xorg.0.log is :

Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.7.6
    Release Date: 2010-03-17
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux bt 3.2.6 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 10:40:05 EST 2012 i686
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.6 root=UUID=351e8af2-bd74-484c-a74b-b1dd2437a51f ro text splash vga=791
    Build Date: 25 February 2012  06:59:39AM
    xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.11 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Apr 20 21:51:03 2012
    (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
    (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
    (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
    (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
    (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
    	Using a default monitor configuration.
    (==) Automatically adding devices
    (==) Automatically enabling devices
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    	Entry deleted from font path.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
    (==) FontPath set to:
    	/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
    	/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
    	/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
    	built-ins
    (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
    	If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
    (II) Loader magic: 0x81f0e80
    (II) Module ABI versions:
    	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
    	X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
    	X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
    	X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
    (--) using VT number 8

(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0116:17aa:21dd Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller rev 9, Mem @ 0xf0000000/4194304, 0xd0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00001800/64
    (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
    (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.9.1
    	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
    (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
    (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.3.0
    	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
    (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.4.1
    (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
    	i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
    	E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
    	965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
    	4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale
    (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
    (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
    (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
    (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
    (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
    (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.0.2
    (**) FBDEV(0): claimed PCI slot 0@0:2:0
    (II) FBDEV(0): using default device
    (II) FBDEV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
    	"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    (==) FBDEV(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
    (==) FBDEV(0): RGB weight 888
    (==) FBDEV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    (==) FBDEV(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (II) FBDEV(0): hardware: inteldrmfb (video memory: 4128kB)
    (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against framebuffer device...
    (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor...
    (--) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 1366x768 (pitch 1366)
    (**) FBDEV(0):  Built-in mode "current"
    (==) FBDEV(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
    (II) Loading sub module "fb"
    (II) LoadModule: "fb"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.0.0
    	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
    (**) FBDEV(0): using shadow framebuffer
    (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
    (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
    (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.1.0
    	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
    (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
    (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
    (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
    (==) FBDEV(0): DPMS enabled
    (==) RandR enabled
    (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    (II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
    (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
    (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
    (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
    (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-B20D7FC79C7F597315E3E501AEF10E0D866E8E92.xkm
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event3)
    (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
    (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
    (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    	compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.3.2
    	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
    (**) Power Button: always reports core events
    (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ThinkPad Extra Buttons" (type: KEYBOARD)
    (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
    (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
    (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
    (II) Power Button: Close
    (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
    (II) Video Bus: Close
    (II) Power Button: Close
    (II) Sleep Button: Close
    (II) Integrated Camera: Close
    (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
    (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
    (II) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Close
    (II) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: Close
     ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PPA's

Quote Originally Posted by James2k View Post
    This guide offers an alternative method of loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PPA's or using packages which are not from the official BackTrack repositories.

Recently I've been trying to get the i915 graphic driver loaded in the new 3.2.6 kernel. After upgrading from R1 > R2 I noticed that the new kernel does not seem to load the i915 driver on boot where as the older 2.6.39.4 kernel loaded it automatically. The new kernel remains functional however in my case my Dell XPS 15z laptop graphic session was stuck at 1280 x 1024, which for a screen that has 1920 x 1080 native resolution, looks quite ugly and bad.

A couple of community members have been posting how to get the driver loaded, but every guide I've seen involves using unsupported PPA's or packages that are not from the official backtrack repositories. With no disrespect to their work, myself being a bit of a perfectionist (or maybe a purist) I tend to not go down the unsupported PPA route if I can avoid it. This guide should hopefully help you get the i915 driver loaded, without the need to mess with any software sources or PPA's, keeping your BackTrack installation pure.

Machine specs

All of this was tested on my Dell XPS 15z laptop, the important specs are below:

My installation contains packages from the official backtrack repositories only.

1. Modifying /etc/default/grub:

Before attempting to load the i915 driver you need* to add some values to your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in your /etc/default/grub config.

*Without doing this, I found the i915 driver did not work correctly and often hung or crashed my machine with the CPU at full throttle when attempting to startx.

Append these values to your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line:

Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force
    Your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line should now look similar to this:

NOTE: Don't add these on your boot/grub/grub.cfg. These changes will get wiped whenever either a certain package runs the upgrade-grub script or when you run update-grub manually.

Here text mode is used rather than text splash (which is the default) as I have encryption set on my root partition and its more convenient for me see the console information (i.e. Enter password prompt) rather than having to press F8 to get to console. Having text mode set is not a necessary part of getting the i915 driver working. Though I personally would choose to have it enabled anyway as it can provide useful information regarding modules during boot.

You may also be wondering what all these commands are actually for. Mainly they are to help power saving (i.e. prevent battery drain) and to keep things running smoothly, as without them my laptop seems to run much hotter in the newer kernel than the older kernel.

Once you've modified the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line run the update-grub command for the changes to be applied on next boot:

Code:
    update-grub
    IMPORTANT: Reboot your machine before continuing.

This is required so the new commands on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line become effective.

2. Manually modprobe the i915 module

Now you should be back at console asking you to login. Now your going to attempt to load the i915 module. Before that however for machines with NVIDIA GPU's you may want to remove the nouveua driver as its not required and its just going to get in the way:

Code:
    modprobe -r nouveau
    modprobe i915 modeset=1
    The first command removes the nouveau driver as its not capable of giving me my true screen resolution (In my case 1920 x 1080) and generally I don't need it. (Note: nouveau will only be present on a system with an NVIDIA GPU). The second command loads the i915 driver.

WARNING: Do not modprobe the i915 module while in an X Session, do it in console.

Observations: At first glance at the situation I first thought the i915 driver was completely missing from the 3.2.6 kernel, however this is not the case as modprobe is able to load it. You can also confirm the presence of the i915 driver by using a bit of grep magic modprobe -l | grep i915.

After you modprobe the i915 module, your screen should go blank for a second or so and should return with the screen resolution changed to your native resolution in console.

You can now proceed to startx and hopefully you will be greeted with BackTrack 5 R2 with the 3.2.6 kernel using the i915 driver. If everything worked out you can proceed to stop the nouveau driver loading at boot permanently, as well as getting the i915 module loaded automatically at boot.

Starting X Error: If you got an error when attempting to start X, you may already have an xorg.conf present which is conflicting with the loading of the i915 module. To remove it you can following the steps outlined in the troubleshooting section towards the bottom of this guide.

3. Stop nouveau from loading during boot permanently (If applicable)

A more convenient way of stopping the nouveau driver loading at boot without running modprobe is to apply it permanently to the blacklist.conf

Add the following at the bottom of the file:

Code:
    blacklist nouveau
    Now run:

Code:
    update-initramfs -u
    This will generate a new initrd.img for the 3.2.6 kernel. If the output from the command says its updating the older 2.6.39.4 kernel you need to follow the steps in this guide to correct this behaviour.

Any subsequent boots after this will stop the driver from loading completly, you will be able to confirm this by checking your console output and looking for any lines with nouveau mentioned, you can also run lsmod and check nouveau is not listed anywhere.

4. Loading the i915 module automatically:

(Probably the moment you've been waiting for!)

If you have confirmed that manually loading the i915 module via modprobe works, you can startx with no problems and you get the desired screen resolution, you can make the module load during boot like its supposed to just like the older kernel. To do this you need to append this to your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line:

Code:
    video=i915:modeset=1
    Here's what your grub line should look like with this change:

Run update-grub:

Code:
    update-grub
    Now you can reboot to see if the i915 module will load automatically.

On your next boot you should get the i915 module loaded automatically! What should happen during the boot process is your screen resolution will start off being set to a low generic resolution such as 1024 x 768 and then should automatically adjust to your native resolution as the i915 module kicks in. This is because during the boot process the VESA module is loaded by default first as its a generic graphics driver which will work on any machine, then as the i915 module is loaded responsibility for the display is transferred over and the VESA module is deactivated.

Please let me know if this guide works for you. If you are having problems try the troubleshooting section at the bottom of this guide, if you still can't get everything working, feel free reply to the thread

5. Using a script to perform the steps in this guide (Optional):

Thanks to landon he has prepared a small script that will perform all of the steps in the guide for you. This is very useful if want to perform these steps on multiple machines. You can find it below:

http://techauthority.net/backtrack/i915-2.sh.txt

All of the required information on how to use this script is written in the comments within the script itself, but for convenience here's a quick way of running the script:

Code:
    wget http://techauthority.net/backtrack/i915-2.sh.txt
    Rename the script, omitting the .txt extension and making the filename more friendly:

Code:
    mv i915-2.sh.txt i915.sh
    CHMOD the script so its executable:

Code:
    chmod +x i915.sh
    Now you can run the script. I would recommend you read over the guide (if you haven't already) before running the script to make sure you know what exactly is going to change (system wise).

6. TROUBLESHOOTING:

If you are having problems after following the steps in the guide hopefully this section will help you get the i915 module working for you.

Starting X throws an error:

It is likely that you have an xorg.conf (located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf) which is causing a conflict with the loading of the i915 module. To fix this you can run:

Code:
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    This will rename the xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak and will prevent X from using the configuration file. Now try starting X again by running startx and it should work.
    My knowledge in Backtrack is BAD

I type startx and I get a black screen

I've noticed that fixing this issue is by upgrading the grub

to begin I type "vim /etc/default/grub"

I get edited there but I don't know how to save the changes, I've pressed Ctrl+Z and something like (grub service stopped) and nothing is saved

My next step is to save the changes and then typing "upgrade-grub" am I right ?

How can I get this done ?

Thanks In advance

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast