Thread: Installing BackTrack 5 onto HDD with VirtualBox

Just burned his ISO

Question Installing BackTrack 5 onto HDD with VirtualBox

Hi BackTrack community,

My Sony Vaio VGN-N365E laptop has 2.00 GHz Core Duo processor with a 111GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM, Windows 7.

I have found a lot of interesting articles through Google searches of "installing BackTrack 5" "installing BackTrack 5 with VirtualBox" "using VMWare to run BackTrack 5 as a virtual machine", etc. I have been wanting to use BackTrack for a little while now, and done quite a bit of research and testing. I started out trying to install BackTrack to a USB thumb drive as a "liveCD" and when I restarted my computer to boot to USB it wouldn't do anything, just bypass the booting. I only had a 2 GB USB so my BackTrack 5 installation took up the whole thing, figured it might not have installed correctly, so I used Back Track 4, an ISO I downloaded on ThePirateBay.org. I checked the MD5Checksum and it was correct.

So I moved onto VMWare Player. I looked at some YouTube videos and researched a bit to see if I could use WLAN to run Reaver 1.4 on BackTrack 5 in VMWare Player. After trying out it didn't work because it had no actual WiFi card, just a virtual machine.

So I tried VirtualBox, same problem. (I don't have USB wireless adapter).

Then I tried to install BackTrack 5 from within Windows, using VirtualBox. I found a tutorial in spanish and english, didn't work so well. So I eventually found this tutorial:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=32568

It is EXCELLENT. Very well written and has all of the details to install. But, when I try to create the New Disk in VirtualBox, it says 111GB for the size of the Virtual Machine on the window 3rd window after setting RAM. Is that right or should I somehow install it on the smaller partition at this point? Also, I followed the steps to add the CD/DVD image of BackTrack5 and changed the Boot Order to CD. I choose Existing Hard disk after I created the VMDK. I used PartitionMagic to shrink my C: drive and add a 10GB drive. The 10GB drive (called BT5) is after the C: drive. I wanted it to choose the BT5 drive instead of my c: drive. When trying the 111GB option, My VirtualBox unexpectedly closes after booting Text Mode backtrack.

Here is the error:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: VirtualBox.exe
    Application Version: 4.1.12.0
    Application Timestamp: 4f7af1bb
    Fault Module Name: VBoxVMM.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4f7af18c
    Exception Code: 80000003
    Exception Offset: 000c59d2
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1ec0
    Additional Information 2: 1ec0fd70d07d060e5bfcf53c69ad1739
    Additional Information 3: 2c48
    Additional Information 4: 2c48940de5e7d1cb2e131ad6a0ca2feb

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thanks for any tips,
    Ryebread

Default Re: Installing BackTrack 5 onto HDD with VirtualBox

@ryebread,

You are not required to re-partition your physical hard drive in order to install VirtualBox on your Windows system. VirtualBox will acting as a virtual computer on your physical computer. The virtual hard drive is build on a physical hard drive within the Windows.

Virtual computer and its components (such as hard drive) are acting as files on Windows system only.

For testing purpose, you are required to give about 10-20GB to the virtual hard drive for the virtual BackTrack.

Samiux