Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Important TUTORIALS !

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Positive feedback from yet another n00b

Quote Originally Posted by muyuu View Post
    I've been around for a few days. I finally signed up yesterday (I think - I've read so much I don't know anymore).

One thing I read a lot is "go look for that thread about XXX" - you know what? there are hundreds of threads here, and searching around is not easy at all. I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm still completely lost about most of the questions I had before joining the forum.

Some of the threads I've read were 30+ pages long (some were, and some appeared to be). When you read a single 30+ thread through, that pretty much makes your afternoon. You start from the beginning, only to find half-way through the post that most of the stuff you read with all your attention is obsolete. That tests your patience.

Not enough posts? I'm sorry, but there are way too many useless posts. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but the last think I want to do after work and 2 straight hours reading, is to skim thru "thank you" posts, although I understand. But those are not the worst. The worst are those "EDIT: nevermind, I fixed it" posts. F***k it, why don't you comment on what happened? some other n00b might have the same problem. Or those who are too lazy and don't even bother editing, they just reply "ah nevermind I fixed it" - taking even more valuable space.

When I read this thread's title for the first time I was like "EUREKA, someone just posted links to the important tutorials so we n00bs don't waste our life reading stuff that doesn't work anymore" but no such luck.

Now that would be something I'd thank for. Preferably by PM. What are PMs for anyway?

Sorry for my slightly bitter first post. I did read the rules, and I think this complies. Thanks for all the effort.
    I've been around for a few days also and seeing the value signed up almost immediately. I originally came looking for proof that WEP was not exactly secure to convince a friend to take a "look" at his security (or lack there of) for his business. Having found the correct information fairly quickly and proved what I needed.. I've been stuck trawling through many tutorials and many many many pages of threads all because I couldn't help myself! That's a GOOD thing people

To put it another way, even though I had other priorities (having accomplished my initial goal).. with the great tutorials / videos / content in general, moderation, help and spirit of this RE forum.. those priorities seemed to be downgraded for some reason

I'd like to say that I have downloaded a lot of information and bookmarked many pages.. I've leeched with the best of them ..but most of which I'll have get to at some other stage as the mentioned priorities are nudging their way back into focus

The content and quality of the people here is plainly AWESOME! If it wasn't I wouldn't have found myself "stuck" here for best part of a week when I should have been doing other things. I've read more pages than I care to recall, have understood a fair chunk of what I've encountered even without having attempted implementing the vast majority of it (and believe me I realise that when I do.. I'll see just how much I haven't *AHEM* understood LOL) ..but have realised just how fantastic you guys are and seen how much or little feedback most of the posts receive.

SO, here I sit at 7:46am in the morning having not slept (again) and I came across this thread. As I'm now moving off to tackle the other priorities, it seemed a fitting place to finish off my journey for now (not sure when I'll be back.. but I WILL) and to post my first entry!

Firstly I'd like to say a huge thanks to all you guys. In my journey the same names keep popping up. I'm not going to mention those names. Most of them have already been mentioned, but there are others and I don't wish to miss anyone out (or go through all the posts again to make sure). One great thing worth pointing out is having seen junior members etc posting replies to things they DO have answeres for, more than a few times. The other is how often the main guys mentioned in this thread give feedback on feedback. Posting tutorials etc is one thing, giving help on top of that is another.. but going so far as to say thanks for the thanks.. well I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "lead by example". You REALLY do make an effort. It is hugely appreciated, but unfortunately as touched on already it won't be shown in proportion. That's life I'm afraid.. hope you can continue to live with it! I hope you continue boldly marching on regardless of how much feedback you get. You are helping more people than you know as for one reason or another they haven't let you know it is so

Secondly.. I quoted this reply from muyuu as I feel it brings up a few things I wanted to say. This is in no way a flame of muyuu.. I completely understand. What I do wish is to back up the guys doing most of the work as I've read a LOT and a few things have become obvious in having spent the time

One thing I read a lot is "go look for that thread about XXX" - you know what? there are hundreds of threads here, and searching around is not easy at all. I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm still completely lost about most of the questions I had before joining the forum.
    Don't give up! Cliche: practice makes perfect. The forum uses a system and the more you use it (and other forums), the easier it is to find what you want. I'm sure you've also seen "use the search"..well seriously it is our friend (which also doesn't always give what you want straight away.. and then you have to go back to not giving up). I've seen these people repeat themselves way too much in helping out those who haven't bothered to or been able to effectively use search. They shouldn't have to repeat themselves. The information IS here. I've seen it. It will take TIME. There is no way around it. After a while you do start to see how things fit together, figure out search usage, remember seeing the right info, find the right info and generally manage the volume of content available (and feel proud to). As a suggestion, if you want specific help but don't wish to spend the time, perhaps we could offer to PAY the contributors for special attention? That's how business works.. and these guys aren't being paid. As such they must do it for some other reason. Passion may be an appropriate term to use. Whatever it is, without paying for their help, we have to show some respect.. which you guys have definitely earned from me.

Some of the threads I've read were 30+ pages long (some were, and some appeared to be). When you read a single 30+ thread through, that pretty much makes your afternoon. You start from the beginning, only to find half-way through the post that most of the stuff you read with all your attention is obsolete. That tests your patience.

Not enough posts? I'm sorry, but there are way too many useless posts. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but the last think I want to do after work and 2 straight hours reading, is to skim thru "thank you" posts, although I understand. But those are not the worst. The worst are those "EDIT: nevermind, I fixed it" posts. F***k it, why don't you comment on what happened? some other n00b might have the same problem. Or those who are too lazy and don't even bother editing, they just reply "ah nevermind I fixed it" - taking even more valuable space.
    Well, that is unfortunate. But as the guys creating this content for us have to put up with lackluster feedback.. we have to put up with information overload. Us n00bs have to consider how difficult and time consuming it is to maintain a site like this. If one of us can create a better forum "system" or "maintain" it better so it fits the needs of EvErYoNe.. step up to the plate. "Nevermind I fixed it".. yes, not very helpful. Take the time to tell us how.. please The basic message with all of this is you have to spend the time. I've seen "then maybe BT is not for you" many times. This is not telling us n00bs to get lost.. it is being honest and straight forward about what BT is designed to do, who it is aimed at and the OS it runs on, that's it, end of story! There is more than enough help available, but it takes action and effort on the part of whoever wishes to succeed in using BT. This is not a linux how-to or hand holding site. Go spend time on other forums to do a comparison. Hats off in appreciation IMHO to the community here.

When I read this thread's title for the first time I was like "EUREKA, someone just posted links to the important tutorials so we n00bs don't waste our life reading stuff that doesn't work anymore" but no such luck.

Now that would be something I'd thank for. Preferably by PM. What are PMs for anyway?

Sorry for my slightly bitter first post. I did read the rules, and I think this complies. Thanks for all the effort.
    OK. I can appreciate where you're coming from. Perhaps the point was missed though. Maybe anyone wishing to express issues they are having should find a more appropriate thread or create their own. There is a n00bs section (which I admit I haven't spent any time in).. there may be places in there for this kinda thing? I may go do a search for it later This thread was started NEW as a way for these guys to let everyone know they would like a bit more feedback and help on our part. THAT is the point. Perhaps we can keep the rest of the replies focussed on positive feedback for them? My suggestion is to use other places for issues or negative feedback and let the guys doing most of the work have somewhere they can come to rejuvinate their spirits if needed.. a sanctuary of positivity.

A BIG THANKS from me regardless. I've very much enjoyed the distraction from my priorities.. and now must get back to them (a few catch-ups to make.. after some sleep). Hopefully I'll be back sooner rather than later.

I've gotta say my friend, great first post. You have restored in me a little bit of faith that the trend of recent visitors has stolen. I hope to see more of you in the near future and if you ever need a helping eHand, send me a message....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Thumbs up

What an excellent first post phantom123 !!

Nice to see there are people that appreciate the work.

If you need any help, let us know. And keep on learning

Edit: ShadowKill was faster
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

I wanted to thank you guys. There are so many people that don't take the time to say thank's for the help they recieve. Now I'm still new, and I still haven't solved my original problem yet, but I don't want to be one of the people who doesn't take the time.

So thanks for tolerating a linux noob, and hopefully, a future pen tester.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the many senior members of this forum for their hard effort in making tutorials. I have saved many hours by watching and reading advice/tutorials. I would rather sift through pages and pages of threads to find the correct info than not have it at all. As I learn more and more, I too will share my knowledge and become a highly contributing member.

Mr_Me
    I feel sorry for them - those who take authority as the truth and not truth as the authority -- Zeitgeist

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567