Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Important TUTORIALS !

  1. #31
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    hey there....im new here...so i would like to thank all for posting their guidelines and tutorial......whether it from a senior member or even a newbie.......been reading and reviewing tutorials from -=Xploitz=-,Shaman, theprez98, Baxter, purehate........im a student too...it takes a lot of time for developing tutorials for someone new like me....to make it easier for others..........at least by saying thank you..........




    merci beaucoup , mes amis

  2. #32
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi to everybody. I'm new to all things Linux, all I have under my belt is a Ubuntu install in dual boot on a PowerPC four weeks back, and since I was starting to like it, I tried installing BT2 on an IntelMac. I have to say I visited/dowloaded almost all the tutorials on this forum, and understood maybe half of them. But I try, God knows I try. The little information I got on how to install BT on my Mac lead me straight into two complete HD wipeouts, and hours of crossreferencing this and that, in an attempt to make it work anyhow. In my case, something is always missing, little things, obvious to you, Balding_Parrot, and to all the big brothers in the forum, but unknown to the noobs like yours truly. In the three weeks I spent pouring over this immense new material which is dual boot installations on IntelMacs, I forgot to thank all of you, guys, for your efforts. So I'll do it now, even if I got a slap in my face after asking for more help (apparently I did not follow the forum netiquette, because instead of posting publicly, which I had done previously without getting any answer, I did in the form of a PM). The point I'm trying to make is this: maybe many of the people leeching out of the forum, not contributing, not even thanking you guys for the, again, wonderful work you are doing, are just like me, a total noobie who's just trying to make it work, who is not getting it because of the particular problem he's facing (in my case, GPT/MBR partition table, running Tiger without Bootcamp, now only available in Leopard, all tutorials recommending three partitions, not two, which is what I have left on my Mac, trying to sort out how to make them fit and run rEFIt + lilo properly, etc, etc) , still without a solution , and honestly, who's just too embarrassed to ask for more help, first because of all the posts saying stuff like:"If you don't know this, you'd better not even try that", secondly, because one slap in the face is enough for me. So what do you expect? I would kindly thank anybody who is willing to help me, but the message I got loud and clear in many places on this forum is: these are the instructions, if they work for you, fine, if they don't, you are just like the rest of us way back when we started, i.e. you'll have to make do and manage, and learn the hard way. Different hardware, different distros, different people require different solutions. Sometimes these solutions work perfectly for somebody, and then I agree with you at least a "thank you" is in order. But most of the times, I think, they just don't work, are incomplete, or they assume a certain knowledge which is not everybody's, and then you have poor me, downloading all the contents of the forum, trying to make sense out of some of it, then bumping in a post like yours, feeling like a totally ungrateful shit, and hurryingly typing a pathetic apology from a different computer because mine is useless for the moment, due to a wrong set of instructions in a dual boot setup posted in your very forum. Sorry for the rent, I really appreciate what you guys do, almost everything I know about Linux I learned it here, and if I offended you, believe me, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to speak on behalf of the Linux Little People, the mass of ignorant loafs to whom I clearly belong, and offer a justification, however lame, and an apology.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ocirne View Post
    Hi to everybody. I'm new to all things Linux, all I have under my belt is a Ubuntu install in dual boot on a PowerPC four weeks back, and since I was starting to like it, I tried installing BT2 on an IntelMac. I have to say I visited/dowloaded almost all the tutorials on this forum, and understood maybe half of them. But I try, God knows I try. The little information I got on how to install BT on my Mac lead me straight into two complete HD wipeouts, and hours of crossreferencing this and that, in an attempt to make it work anyhow. In my case, something is always missing, little things, obvious to you, Balding_Parrot, and to all the big brothers in the forum, but unknown to the noobs like yours truly. In the three weeks I spent pouring over this immense new material which is dual boot installations on IntelMacs, I forgot to thank all of you, guys, for your efforts. So I'll do it now, even if I got a slap in my face after asking for more help (apparently I did not follow the forum netiquette, because instead of posting publicly, which I had done previously without getting any answer, I did in the form of a PM). The point I'm trying to make is this: maybe many of the people leeching out of the forum, not contributing, not even thanking you guys for the, again, wonderful work you are doing, are just like me, a total noobie who's just trying to make it work, who is not getting it because of the particular problem he's facing (in my case, GPT/MBR partition table, running Tiger without Bootcamp, now only available in Leopard, all tutorials recommending three partitions, not two, which is what I have left on my Mac, trying to sort out how to make them fit and run rEFIt + lilo properly, etc, etc) , still without a solution , and honestly, who's just too embarrassed to ask for more help, first because of all the posts saying stuff like:"If you don't know this, you'd better not even try that", secondly, because one slap in the face is enough for me. So what do you expect? I would kindly thank anybody who is willing to help me, but the message I got loud and clear in many places on this forum is: these are the instructions, if they work for you, fine, if they don't, you are just like the rest of us way back when we started, i.e. you'll have to make do and manage, and learn the hard way. Different hardware, different distros, different people require different solutions. Sometimes these solutions work perfectly for somebody, and then I agree with you at least a "thank you" is in order. But most of the times, I think, they just don't work, are incomplete, or they assume a certain knowledge which is not everybody's, and then you have poor me, downloading all the contents of the forum, trying to make sense out of some of it, then bumping in a post like yours, feeling like a totally ungrateful shit, and hurryingly typing a pathetic apology from a different computer because mine is useless for the moment, due to a wrong set of instructions in a dual boot setup posted in your very forum. Sorry for the rent, I really appreciate what you guys do, almost everything I know about Linux I learned it here, and if I offended you, believe me, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to speak on behalf of the Linux Little People, the mass of ignorant loafs to whom I clearly belong, and offer a justification, however lame, and an apology.
    Welcome to the forums.

    Sorry your having such headaches!!

    And if you would have looked on our wiKi..you would have noted that the errors on the dual boot video were corrected there as well....

    Code:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=Howto

    Installing BackTrack in a dual boot configuration (movie)

    A short movie describing a dual boot installation of Backtrack can be found here -muts
    Note: In the video there's an instruction to cp /boot/boot/vmlinuz /mnt/backtrack/boot This is for previous releases of BackTrack, BT2 final command should be cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/backtrack/boot also note it's vmlinuz, not vmlinux -ziplock
    Note2: If you change the default root password after your LiveCD boot and then do this install, the HD installed version will have the new password, not the LiveCD default password. -ziplock
    But I guess you overlooked that one huh?

    Well anyways....were not here to spoonfeed..were here to support you..and if your completely new to Linux..BT2 really isn't for you yet. But if you insist...your going to have problems. Hell, I knew nothing about Linux when I found this site 7 months ago. I asked stupid questions just like any other no0b did..but the difference is that in every post I made..I put as much info as possible to try to show everyone that I was really trying to learn it on my own. And you know what? They helped me because I wasn't just another no0bie looking for a free handout.

    Point is..if you wanna learn..no one here is gonna hold your hand. You got to do most of the grunt work BY YOURSELF.

    This is a support forum..not a "feed the no0b" forum.



    But thanks for the constructive criticism.


    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

  4. #34
    Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ocirne View Post
    Hi to everybody. I'm new to all things Linux, all I have under my belt is a Ubuntu install in dual boot on a PowerPC four weeks back, and since I was starting to like it, I tried installing BT2 on an IntelMac. I have to say I visited/dowloaded almost all the tutorials on this forum, and understood maybe half of them. But I try, God knows I try. The little information I got on how to install BT on my Mac lead me straight into two complete HD wipeouts, and hours of crossreferencing this and that, in an attempt to make it work anyhow. In my case, something is always missing, little things, obvious to you, Balding_Parrot, and to all the big brothers in the forum, but unknown to the noobs like yours truly. In the three weeks I spent pouring over this immense new material which is dual boot installations on IntelMacs, I forgot to thank all of you, guys, for your efforts. So I'll do it now, even if I got a slap in my face after asking for more help (apparently I did not follow the forum netiquette, because instead of posting publicly, which I had done previously without getting any answer, I did in the form of a PM). The point I'm trying to make is this: maybe many of the people leeching out of the forum, not contributing, not even thanking you guys for the, again, wonderful work you are doing, are just like me, a total noobie who's just trying to make it work, who is not getting it because of the particular problem he's facing (in my case, GPT/MBR partition table, running Tiger without Bootcamp, now only available in Leopard, all tutorials recommending three partitions, not two, which is what I have left on my Mac, trying to sort out how to make them fit and run rEFIt + lilo properly, etc, etc) , still without a solution , and honestly, who's just too embarrassed to ask for more help, first because of all the posts saying stuff like:"If you don't know this, you'd better not even try that", secondly, because one slap in the face is enough for me. So what do you expect? I would kindly thank anybody who is willing to help me, but the message I got loud and clear in many places on this forum is: these are the instructions, if they work for you, fine, if they don't, you are just like the rest of us way back when we started, i.e. you'll have to make do and manage, and learn the hard way. Different hardware, different distros, different people require different solutions. Sometimes these solutions work perfectly for somebody, and then I agree with you at least a "thank you" is in order. But most of the times, I think, they just don't work, are incomplete, or they assume a certain knowledge which is not everybody's, and then you have poor me, downloading all the contents of the forum, trying to make sense out of some of it, then bumping in a post like yours, feeling like a totally ungrateful shit, and hurryingly typing a pathetic apology from a different computer because mine is useless for the moment, due to a wrong set of instructions in a dual boot setup posted in your very forum. Sorry for the rent, I really appreciate what you guys do, almost everything I know about Linux I learned it here, and if I offended you, believe me, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to speak on behalf of the Linux Little People, the mass of ignorant loafs to whom I clearly belong, and offer a justification, however lame, and an apology.
    Wow, that was long.

    You run into walls until you eventually find a way. If someone posts a script to do something, then that's great, but you learned nothing. At least not as much as you could have learned by stumbling through. Also, CONTRIBUTE! Do what you can to make this place better. People on here get tired of the Question after Question of stuff that has probably been covered before. Or stuff that can be researched online. The guys on here that are good, have plowed ahead, constantly learning. I mean look at -=Xploitz=-. If you read some of his first posts, man he was a n00b (no offense -=Xploitz=-). But look at him now. Because he's freaking determined and motivated. There are a lot of others who bring a tremendous wealth of knowledge to the table. We need to start CONTRIBUTING, instead of taking and asking for scripts/commands/etc so we can learn this stuff on our own, and then bring THAT knowledge to the table.
    CONTRIBUTE YOU NOOBS!

    Btw, anyone have any good Ettercap filters? Haha, just kidding.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

  5. #35
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    If I had any clue about macs I would help you out but I do not. I must be in the dark because I was under the impression that to install bt in a mac you had to use parallels or vmware fusion or something. Please take this next part kindly. back track is not a beginner linux distro however it seems a lot of people get started with it (me included). So unless you are are hard headed and stubborn like alot of us here and dont mind fudging it all a few times in the intrest of learning then you can learn here. Now my critique: You gave us zero information to work with. In fact it was so vauge that I dont think xploitz even realized your talking about a mac. or are you I'm not sure.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    In fact it was so vauge that I dont think xploitz even realized your talking about a mac. or are you I'm not sure.
    LMFAO!!

    I didn't even see that part!!

    See?? Even the "Seasoned Pros" miss out on stuff. Were all only human.

    ***EDIT***

    Yep..he said Intelmac
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

  7. #37
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I've been around for a few days. I finally signed up yesterday (I think - I've read so much I don't know anymore).

    One thing I read a lot is "go look for that thread about XXX" - you know what? there are hundreds of threads here, and searching around is not easy at all. I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm still completely lost about most of the questions I had before joining the forum.

    Some of the threads I've read were 30+ pages long (some were, and some appeared to be). When you read a single 30+ thread through, that pretty much makes your afternoon. You start from the beginning, only to find half-way through the post that most of the stuff you read with all your attention is obsolete. That tests your patience.

    Not enough posts? I'm sorry, but there are way too many useless posts. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but the last think I want to do after work and 2 straight hours reading, is to skim thru "thank you" posts, although I understand. But those are not the worst. The worst are those "EDIT: nevermind, I fixed it" posts. F***k it, why don't you comment on what happened? some other n00b might have the same problem. Or those who are too lazy and don't even bother editing, they just reply "ah nevermind I fixed it" - taking even more valuable space.

    When I read this thread's title for the first time I was like "EUREKA, someone just posted links to the important tutorials so we n00bs don't waste our life reading stuff that doesn't work anymore" but no such luck.

    Now that would be something I'd thank for. Preferably by PM. What are PMs for anyway?

    Sorry for my slightly bitter first post. I did read the rules, and I think this complies. Thanks for all the effort.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muyuu View Post
    What are PMs for anyway?
    For the FBI and other government type officials to use to PM you a question like.." Hey dude. I need help cracking WEP..I got this hot neighbor and shes' got naked pix on her computer. If you tell me how to hack in..I'll give you a copy of her nude pix."........then when you do offer help ding this illegal activity...they convict you for being an accomplice to a felony by using your admission (via his PM log), and haul you to prison. Its called Phishing..and they do it quite a lot. I'm really grateful for them doing this because it gets rid of some of the "riffraff" and filth around here.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

  9. #39
    Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    For the FBI and other government type officials to use to PM you a question like.." Hey dude. I need help cracking WEP..I got this hot neighbor and shes' got naked pix on her computer. If you tell me how to hack in..I'll give you a copy of her nude pix."........then when you do offer help ding this illegal activity...they convict you for being an accomplice to a felony by your admission via PM, and haul you to prison. Its called Phishing..and they do it quite a lot. I'm really grateful for them doing this because it gets rid of some of the "riffraff" and filth around here.
    Wait a minute, YOU just sent me that PM! Oh NOES! I'm going to jail~!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

  10. #40
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    For the FBI and other government type officials to use to PM you a question like.." Hey dude. I need help cracking WEP..I got this hot neighbor and shes' got naked pix on her computer. If you tell me how to hack in..I'll give you a copy of her nude pix."........then when you do offer help ding this illegal activity...they convict you for being an accomplice to a felony by using your admission (via his PM log), and haul you to prison. Its called Phishing..and they do it quite a lot. I'm really grateful for them doing this because it gets rid of some of the "riffraff" and filth around here.
    To quote The Clash

    Thank God for the rain that washes the trash off the sidewalk
    Listen you screwheads, here is a man who would not take it anymore
    a man who stood up against the scum, the filth
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •