Thread: WICD network manager problem,Show "No network" after refresh.

Just burned his ISO

Default WICD network manager problem,Show "No network" after refresh.

Hello there,
    Its been 2 or 3 days now I am hunting for a solution to this problem, My computer is running on Backtrack 5 R2 (GNOME). When I was testing it in Live session everything was working fine, after playing with it for a couple of hours I installed it on Hard drive.
    Now, after Booting into installed package I opened wicd network manager and it showed me error message "Could not connect to WICD's D-Bus interface", I clicked on Ok button and It disappeared, Wicd was still working properly and I saw all the available wireless networks in list, I clicked on refresh and WICD window said "No wireless network found", I was wondering how could it be possible ?? So I hit refresh many times but still there were No network listed in the wicd window. I can see and connect to all the available networks on my Android phone and on a symbian one too, and it works on my friends laptop but doesn't show up in mine.

For the first problem (WICD D-Bus Interface) I followed the instructions provided in wiki and also some other from other sources but nothing worked for me.

When I reboot the machine It all happens from start i.e. WICD D-Bus interface Error --> Show available networks --> Refresh --> No wireless network available.

Can somebody please lead me towards a working solution ?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: WICD network manager problem,Show "No network" after refresh.

Are you sure the wicd server is started? Run "wicd" in a terminal and try it again.

Do not use it ,, Try

ifconfig wlan0 up

or ifconfig eth1 up

iwconfig wlan0 essid "your wireless"

dhcpcd wlan0

and try ping -c 3 google.com

Just burned his ISO

Try running rfkill list to see if your wireless interface has been blocked.

Just burned his ISO

and what IF it is blocked? I am having SUPER similar issues. worked perfect from dvd. upon install it give almost same issues. i dont know exact error it gives with wcid but at first or when im not running aircrack it would let me go into wcid just fine and connect, now its being dumb. what to do? i miss it working and the wife is loosing patience

Just burned his ISO

Thanks everybody for all the responses so far but unfortunately I am still unable to get it working.

I checked the WICD daemon and its running, I tried to connect via console but it shows no result for "iwlist wlan0 scan" (the same way it does in WICD window) and if I somehow manage to connect to the network from console then it does not obtain the IP, but it does connect perfectly in Win 7.
    I tried removing WICD completely and installing the Network manager but cant get it to work at all. I am sure I am missing out something like some extra packages but cant figure it out exactly.
    Now I am running on a machine with no network connection and trying to figure out what can backtrack do without a working internet connection ?

Can anybody help me please ?

What type of driver are you using? Atheros driver AR9285 doesn't work with kernel 3.2.6. I have that and had to downgrade back to RC1. You might have to look and see if anybody else on the net is reporting driver issues with kernel 3.2.6.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pepsimax32 View Post
    and what IF it is blocked? I am having SUPER similar issues. worked perfect from dvd. upon install it give almost same issues. i dont know exact error it gives with wcid but at first or when im not running aircrack it would let me go into wcid just fine and connect, now its being dumb. what to do? i miss it working and the wife is loosing patience
    is it is indeed blocked.. should say something like this:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft Blocked: (no/yes)
    Hard Blocked: (no/yes)
    1: asus-wlan: wireless LAN
    Soft Blocked: (no/yes)
    Hard Blocked: (no/yes)

If it says something like above and any of them say "yes" then type this: rfkill unblock all and then run: rfkill list and they should all say no.... by tht point you should be fine. now this isnt a permanent fix sadly... idk how to write a script to execute this command at start up but if some1 does ias u can see it just needs 1 command and it will work fine... im not sure y after install it blocks the wifi card but yea hope this helps.