Thread: Active Wifi Scanning

Just burned his ISO

Default Active Wifi Scanning

Hello all,

I am new, albeit not expert- wasn't sure where to post this- but it's not exactly beginner, nor expert either- so in the interest of learning i will post here.

There are many questions for newbies regarding WiFi AP detection. I have seen this myself, Win7 (using the default wireless app), or inssider, etc detect *immediately* everything in range. airodump-ng is seeing many of the same results, but far less quickly, and sometimes none at all. (Nevermind the wicd interface). How is that possible? Moving back in (after a hiatus), Linux has thestrongest network understructure, no?

Basically, on observation I am seeing *very less* from my Backtrack tools (likely my bad) than Windows in terms of networking. (My primary source is an aspire running Ath9K).

So initial question (and I do understand somewhat), is there an included active scanner that can match Win7 tools (there damn well should be I hope LOL).

Airodump-ng stalls for times until I do an Aireplay-ng, then suddenly all 7-8 ap/clients show up again. That tells me something is wrong with my config.

BeNT

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Active Wifi Scanning

Hmm...it's not an active scanner, but have you tried Kismet? Also, do you have another wireless card that you can try?
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply,

Under this configuration I have no additional hardware. Kismet is better (at times than airomon-ng), but still I am wondering how M$ can detect many APs (with various tools) versus running a BT Kernel versus a lot on Win platform does not seem right. Again maybe drivers, maybe user error. I Dunno... 12 APs win7 to 2 APs BT.

Something is wrong.
    Steve

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

I'm thinking drivers, based on your description. I don't commonly use the aircrack suite, but Kismet is pretty dummy-proof You start it, give it your wireless device, and Kismet takes care of the rest.

If it helps, I use one of two wireless devices (based on what I'm doing): Hawking HWUG1A & Alfa AWUS036H. I haven't yet used them under R2, but from R1 back to BT3, I've had no problems.
    Last edited by scottm99; 03-23-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...