Thread: Boot from disc not working

Just burned his ISO

Question Boot from disc not working

Tried everything I can think of. When I load up from the disk it goes to a prompt that just says "boot:" and no commands I through at it do anything at all. Have to force restart just to get the OS back up. I was trying to install this so I could learn a little Linux and also learn about computer security some. I've verified the file use "Hashcalc" and everything shows up clean. No issues with the one burned to the disc either. Used 2 different burners to ensure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Used a burn speed of 4x to ensure no errors. Downloaded 2 times to double check I got everything, but nothing seems to be working. It doesn't auto boot from disc so I have to force it using F12 and then like I said it just goes to "boot:" and no command at that point works at all. I'm burning the .iso directly to a DVD+R disc. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll kick myself if it's something simple.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Boot from disc not working

It sounds as do you are not burning the .iso to the disk correctly.
    Have you tried using unebooten and installing it to a USB? Will run quicker for you than having it run from a DVD disc. Just lookup a tutorial on a BT unebooten install with persistence. Very straight forward process.

Just burned their ISO

Cool Re: Boot from disc not working

Quote Originally Posted by daemonlnk View Post
    Tried everything I can think of. When I load up from the disk it goes to a prompt that just says "boot:" and no commands I through at it do anything at all. Have to force restart just to get the OS back up. I was trying to install this so I could learn a little Linux and also learn about computer security some. I've verified the file use "Hashcalc" and everything shows up clean. No issues with the one burned to the disc either. Used 2 different burners to ensure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Used a burn speed of 4x to ensure no errors. Downloaded 2 times to double check I got everything, but nothing seems to be working. It doesn't auto boot from disc so I have to force it using F12 and then like I said it just goes to "boot:" and no command at that point works at all. I'm burning the .iso directly to a DVD+R disc. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll kick myself if it's something simple.

Thanks in advance.
    At this prompt all you have to do is hit enter. When you gt to menu, choose text console and then type startx. That is all.

Just burned his ISO

I do not want to steal this posting but I am also having much the same problem. My older computer WinXP Pro 32 bit will NOT boot for a USB. Therefore, I want to boot from a DVD and run BackTrack LIVE. Do not want to dual boot.

1. Download BT5R3-KDE-32.iso.
    2. Burn with Roxio Creater
    3. Boot from CD/DVD
    4. Computer Stops at "BOOT:"
    5. Type in ?startx"
    6. Kernal not found.

1. Download BT5R3-KDE-32.iso.
    2. Burn with Roxio Creater
    3. Boot from CD/DVD
    4. Computer Stops at "BOOT:"
    5. Type in ?startx"
    6. Kernal not found.
    Just as Cheesmassacre said, at this point all you have to do is press enter or just leave it, it will eventually go to the BT menu. You don't need to type anything. If it's not working just by pressing enter then the disc is probably not correct.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy87 View Post
    Just as Cheesmassacre said, at this point all you have to do is press enter or just leave it, it will eventually go to the BT menu. You don't need to type anything. If it's not working just by pressing enter then the disc is probably not correct.
    Reburned at 1X speed. All worked