Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atheros AR9285 with ath9k driver unable to connect to internet using WEP

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Atheros AR9285 with ath9k driver unable to connect to internet using WEP

Hello,

I tried posting a similar thread a few days ago but I believe it was rejected due to lack of information, wrong forum, and probably other reasons as well.

Since then I have been doing more research on this issue and have found more information.

I have a Samsung N150 Plus netbook, the internal wireless nic is using the Atheros AR9285 chipset and ath9k drivers. Everything works fine in BT 5 and BT 5R1. In BT 5R2, I can connect to my router with WPA2 and get out to the internet just fine, but my other router which is encrypted with WEP allows me to connect just fine but I am unable to access the internet or any other computers on the network, including the router.

During my research of the issue I have determined that this is a known bug in the 3.2.6 kernel. There is currently a patch, which I have tried to apply and recompile the kernel but it is not very clear to me how this needs to be done and other than that I understand that there are quite a few tweaks applied to the BT kernel as it is.

Just to be clear, I am still running the stock BT 5R2 3.2.6 kernel.

Here is a thread on debian.org detailing the problem and seems to include a fix:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-kerne.../msg00617.html

---------

After reading over my post I noticed that I forgot to give a couple details. All of the BackTrack versions that I have mentioned above will be the 32bit Gnome versions, although since this is an issue with the kernel I believe this will affect all versions.

Thank you for reading this and any assistance you can provide!

---------

edit: I think I spoke too soon, my previous post was accepted

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...740#post214740
    Last edited by devi1; 03-12-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Atheros AR9285 with ath9k driver unable to connect to internet using WEP

I have the same problem. If you find out if its ok to recompile the kernel or any other fix, can you please leave a post in detail on how about getting this done....thanks in advance!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Atheros AR9285 with ath9k driver unable to connect to internet using WEP

As I understand it, recompiling the backtrack kernel yourself is not supported. I did try to do this anyway but failed.

I have reported this as a bug: http://redmine.backtrack-linux.org:8080/issues/580

We'll see what happens with that.

Just burned his ISO

Okay, I tried again to compile a newer version of the kernel and this fixed the problem. I'm now running 3.2.13.

I'm not sure if the mods will allow this but I've written up a short tutorial on compiling the new kernel.

Note: It is generally not a good idea to compile your own kernel for backtrack. I have not extensively tested this kernel to make sure everything else works, and any bugs you encounter while using your own kernel are your own responsibility, the backtrack team most likely will not assist you with any issues you run into.

Download, unpack and configure the new kernel source

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    wget www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.2.13.tar.bz2
    tar xjf linux-3.2.13.tar.bz2
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-3.2.13 linux
    cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
    make menuconfig
    Go to Load an Alternate Configuration File and choose .config
    Go to Exit and choose Yes when it asks if you want to save

Compile the new kernel (this will most likely take several hours to complete)
    Code:
    make-kpkg clean
    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers
    Check to make sure your .deb files were created
    Code:
    root@bt:/usr/src/linux# cd ..
    root@bt:/usr/src# ls -l *.deb
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7246700 2012-03-24 17:05 linux-headers-3.2.13-custom_3.2.13-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39093754 2012-03-24 17:00 linux-image-3.2.13-custom_3.2.13-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    Install the new kernel
    Code:
    dpkg -i linux-image-3.2.13-custom_3.2.13-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    dpkg -i linux-headers-3.2.13-custom_3.2.13-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    Create a new initrd image
    Code:
    update-initramfs -c -k 3.2.13-custom
    Update your grub menu
    Code:
    update-grub2
    Reboot
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    Verify that you're on the new kernel
    Code:
    root@bt:~# uname -r
    3.2.13-custom
    And now you shouldn't have any trouble with WEP networks

---------------------------------------

Edit: After compiling and booting this new kernel I have noticed that when setting up a fake AP with airbase, it will broadcast on channel 255 and no devices are able to see the fake ap. If I restart and boot into the old kernel it works fine. This is a known bug in airbase but I'm not sure if there's a kernel that resolves both issues.
    Last edited by devi1; 04-19-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Just burned his ISO

I have a different Atheros card but the same issue, each time i try to post they are not getting approved even tho im posting as much info as i can and have searched.
    Atheros AR9280/AR928X

I'm going to give this ago tonight.

Just burned his ISO

script get stuck at the first hurdle

root@bt:/usr/src# tar xjf linux-3.2.13.tar.bz2
    root@bt:/usr/src# rm linux
    root@bt:/usr/src# ln -s linux-3.2.13 linux
    root@bt:/usr/src# cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
    root@bt:/usr/src# make menuconfig
    make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'. Stop.

Just burned his ISO

@wifiUK

Try this (instead of cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config)
    Code:
    root@bt:/usr/src# cd linux
    root@bt:/usr/src/linux# zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
    then continue with make menuconfig and the rest of the commands.

On a side note, I did read your post where you describe the issue you're experiencing (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...49538&p=217219) and it does not sound like the same issue to me.

The problem I had (that was fixed with the instructions that I've posted) was that when I scanned for networks I could see and even connect to WEP enabled APs but when I was connected I would not get any packets to pass over the network. I couldn't even ping the router. The problem you describe is that no WEP enabled APs are showing up during a scan.

You can try the fix I've posted here but I'm not sure it will fix your issue. I've done a little bit of searching and haven't found anything like what you're running into here but I'll keep searching and see if anything comes up.

Keep in mind that compiling this kernel may break other things so be sure to keep your old kernel around in case you need to switch back at some point.

Just burned his ISO

never managed to get this working, reseated the wireless card and that fixed the other issues, so now i can get WEP keys with injection tests but i cant connect to them... says invalid password.
    Is there are new update soon?

Just burned their ISO

Um.. recompiling the kernel is unnecessary; I had the same issue and just downloaded the latest compat-wireless (compat-wireless-3.5-1) and followed the basic directions. Injection still works.

Just burned his ISO

yes injection works but can you connect to WEP network? as when we try it says invalid password when its correct but WPA/2 are fine..

has anyone got a fix for this .?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast