Thread: BT5 R1 VMARE 32 GNOME - SET toolkit can't find metasploit/msfconsole

Just burned his ISO

Question BT5 R1 VMARE 32 GNOME - SET toolkit can't find metasploit/msfconsole

This is my first thread so try not to be so hard on me, complete noob in linux + my english is not that good. :P

I'm running BT5 R1 32 Gnome in VMware

I've been scouting the forums for the past couple of days now, trying to figure out some issues related to metasploit - framework3/postgresql and found solutions how to get it running. Though I'm not sure about my next line, I'll still write it down and let you re-quote me..

I've read on some other forums that this edition has no framework3 directory or is somehow integrated otherwise.. which brings me to the problem in my SET toolkit.

When I try running the SET toolkit via Backtrack -> Exploitation tools -> Social Enginering Tools -> Social Enginering Toolkit -> Set

At first it start normaly but when I try to update the metasploit framework via set> 4 or useing one of it's functions example: set > 1 next step set > 2 .... I get the following errors:

set> 4
    [-] Updating the Metasploit Framework...Be patient.
    [!] Metasploit path not found. These payloads will be disabled.
    [!] Please configure in the config/set_config. Press {return} to continue
    /bin/sh: line 0: cd: False/: No such file or directory
    At revision 1207.
    [*] Metasploit has successfully updated!

and

set> 2
    [!] Sorry. Metasploit was not found. This feature does not work properly without Metasploit.
    Press {return} to go back to the main menu.

Based on the info the error gives me I've tryed configureing the set_config file to point to a dif. directory with no luck example:

I opened the set_config file with kate and edited the following lines with no success:

#
    # DEFINE THE PATH TO METASPLOIT HERE, FOR EXAMPLE /pentest/exploits/framework3
    #(this is the default path of set_config for metasploit which I dont have so basically I presumed this was the problem - tryed dif. installations of framework3, but the directory doesn't aper as such)
    #METASPLOIT_PATH=/opt/framework3/msf3
    # (tryed changed it to this default, based on my version and what I found in my files, useing the locate command to find other frameworks but it doesn't work)
    METASPLOIT_PATH=/opt/metasploit/msf3

I have allso tryed useing dif. directories like : /pentest/exploits/framework2/ and /pentest/exploits/framework/ (where the msfconsole is located) with no success..

so my questions are: what am I doing wrong, is there smthing else that I need to change like a database or smthing?

Note: Bare with me... I'm a complete noob so if you require any other data, please let me know.

Thanks for the anwsers!

Default Re: BT5 R1 VMARE 32 GNOME - SET toolkit can't find metasploit/msfconsole

I suggest you upgrade to the latest Backtrack 5 R2.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 R1 VMARE 32 GNOME - SET toolkit can't find metasploit/msfconsole

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    I suggest you upgrade to the latest Backtrack 5 R2.
    Hi, I had the same problem with 5r1 and I have it in R2. There is no /pentest/exploits/framework3 i have installed framework 3 from fresh, but it does not appear, even when i try the command "locate framework3" it is not there. I am using 64 bit Gnome 5r2 on Virtualbox

Metasploit is at version 4
    locate msfconsole, and you will know its path

this is not a bug
    thread closed