Thread: Nmap/Zenmap errors (fresh install of BT5 r2)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Nmap/Zenmap errors (fresh install of BT5 r2)

Hi all,

So I am testing out a fresh install of Backtrack 5 R2 KDE 32-bit and I ran into an issue with nmap/zenmap.

I ran Zenmap once and scanned a host on my network. Everything went smooth on that first scan. I decided to scan again but using a different set of options and I get this error:

route_dst_netlink: can't find interface "wlan1"

Keep in mind that my wlan1 interface is working fine since I managed to scan my network the first time. Has anyone else ever ran into this error? What can I do to fix this?

I mentioned nmap because the same exact error pops up whenever I try use it.

My wireless card is a TP-LINK WN722N v 1.8, if that helps.

Please note that I haven't changed any important configuration files, settings, or anything that has anything to do with the system's configuration.

Default Re: Nmap/Zenmap errors (fresh install of BT5 r2)

Be a little more specific about the options you used also have you tried a reboot ? Have you tried using a different adapter ?
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Hey sickness,

Thanks for the reply.

So far I just rebooted and used my Broadcom 4313 adapter(wlan0), which is my only other adapter, and so far I managed to complete two scans using Zenmap.

The options I used in Zenmap/Nmap:

nmap -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.2

nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.2

nmap -v -sV 192.168.1.2

One thing I did notice is that Metasploit's version of nmap 5.51 SVN works fine with wlan1 even after I get the aforementioned error message from nmap 5.61TEST4.

When I got that error I was sill able to surf the net and basically use the card in monitor mode after the error message to mess around with Reaver.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I had this error message with nmap 5.61TEST4 with BT5 R1 but after upgrading via the instructions on the blog the problem seemed to go away but I haven't tested it exclusively since I am currently running a fresh install of BT5 R2.

Also, I haven't used any third-party update scripts nor have I installed anything other than the official software as provided by the BT repos.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

P.S.

I would use my Broadcom card but it runs horribly(constant disconnects) under Linux no matter the distribution since I tried it under Kubuntu, Ubuntu and, of course, Backtrack .

Just burned his ISO

Update:

running zenmap/nmap now with wlan1 and so far it's finding the interface. I still have no idea as to why zenmap/nmap "lose sight" of wlan1 as the USB card doesn't get randomly from its port or anything of the sort.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by JudasIscariot View Post
    Update:

running zenmap/nmap now with wlan1 and so far it's finding the interface. I still have no idea as to why zenmap/nmap "lose sight" of wlan1 as the USB card doesn't get randomly from its port or anything of the sort.
    I have noticed that the error only occurs if the interface is in monitor mode. If that is the case, remove it from monitor mode and try again.