Thread: How do I disable my netbooks wireless adapter so I can use my Alfa adapter?

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I disable my netbooks wireless adapter so I can use my Alfa adapter?

I've gotten my Alfa AWUS036H adapter hooked up and running through BT5 R1 on my netbook successfully. Now the only problem is when I go to connect to a network it automatically uses my stock wireless adapter. I've gotten the Alfa up and running as wlan1, but my stock wireless in is assigned wlan0. I'm a beginner in the realm of linux so obviously I perfer using the GUI for messing my network access. I did use the console to set up the Alfa adapter so I'm not against using it, just not so confident ! HELP MEH !

Default Re: How do I disable my netbooks wireless adapter so I can use my Alfa adapter?

Are you trying to connect using wicd? Why not open up preferences and enter wlan1 as your wireless card so that it would use your external card instead of the built-in one...
    It's time to free yer Mind; It's time to cleanse yer Soul

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How do I disable my netbooks wireless adapter so I can use my Alfa adapter?

Not positive ( I can't get the Alfa 036h to work ) but this might help...

On the command line entering <ifconfig> will perform an operation similar to Windows ipconfig... that should display active wlan's ( typing <ifconfig -a> will display all network hardware including the stuff that is down ).

So. In Theory...

<ifconfig> will show all active network devices

once you know which wlan you want down just type <ifconfig wlan(#) down> ... it will shut down the wireless device being used as default which may or may not cause the OS to switch to the other wlan ( doesn't work on my system so I have no idea ). I do know that two wireless devices can be used simultaneously in certain Linux distros. In theory all the commands just need to refer to the appropriate wlan.

If you do <ifconfig -a> and see the 036h wlan there but don't see it when you do <ifconfig> then you are basically way beyond my help but you can try the command <ifconfig wlan(#) up> .... which theoretically enables hardware that is down. I hope you didn't get suckered into buying useless hardware from this forum like I did. Z/Z

Just burned their ISO

ifconfig wlan2 up

Ifconfig should show your alfa now - no need to disable your on board.

airmon-ng start wlan2 ---> mon0 or mon1