Thread: Tor issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Tor issue

Hey,

I've installed Back|Track on my PC and wanted to see if i could surf the web using the tor network. So i clicked the firefox plugin icon so i get the "Tor Enabled" and tried to visit a website. To my surprise i get the following messenge:

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?? My router is configured to prevent computers on my LAN from acting as a server(to the internet) but I tought this could not be the problem since(if im correct) the tor client doesnt act as a server.

Regards Eron

Because you have only switched tor on in firefox and not set tor up

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Eron_the_Relentless View Post
    Hey,

I've installed Back|Track on my PC and wanted to see if i could surf the web using the tor network. So i clicked the firefox plugin icon so i get the "Tor Enabled" and tried to visit a website. To my surprise i get the following messenge:

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?? My router is configured to prevent computers on my LAN from acting as a server(to the internet) but I tought this could not be the problem since(if im correct) the tor client doesnt act as a server.

Regards Eron
    you must configure privoxy and then run tor from the command shell and then click the button and surf. Check the bt wiki for a how to

Just burned his ISO

wow fast reply, i followed instructions as stated on btwiki but i get msg that there is not enough information to create a circuit

edit: i'm a complete tard tnx for the reply's got it working now

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Eron_the_Relentless View Post
    wow fast reply, i followed instructions as stated on btwiki but i get msg that there is not enough information to create a circuit
    Tor does not always work and some isp dont really like it. I think that may be why the developers included jap as well. Its in the back track>misc menu. try that if you need to use a anonymizer service

Default index

Privoxy/Tor also needs time to setup its own database of servers that are online at that time (on your machine) . It is pretty much regularly updated but on a first install it may take a while.

Leave it online for a while and try again.

Of relevance:
    http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheO...r/TorFAQ#torrc
    http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

In my opinion Tor is very effective but very slow due to the lack of servers. I used to use it regularly whilst in Europe.
    Lux sit