Thread: Backtrack 5 Distribution upgrade from R1 to R2 leads to display problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 5 Distribution upgrade from R1 to R2 leads to display problems

I know that Backtrack 5 R2 distribution upgrade has been available for only a few days, but I seemed to run into an issue after coducting an apt-get dist-upgrade from Backtrack R1. I now am running the 3.2.6 kernel on my Acer Aspire 722 netbook. For some reason, my display is not loading right anymore. My graphics adapter is an AMD Radeon HD 6250. R1 had a perfect and clear display. Anyone have thoughts on how i can fix this? I have tried downloading the latest drivers from AMD site but still doesn't fix it. I maybe missing something. I appreciate the help in advance.

Default Re: Backtrack 5 Distribution upgrade from R1 to R2 leads to display problems

Here's a thread in the "Bug" section of the forums that people are reporting issues such as this. I had a problem with my Intel HD graphics only working at 1024x768 when on R1 they work perfectly out of the box.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48243

Default Re: Backtrack 5 Distribution upgrade from R1 to R2 leads to display problems

Check if the solution on the following link fixes the problem: http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/01/ubu...n-problem.html

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Backtrack 5 Distribution upgrade from R1 to R2 leads to display problems AMD ATI

Hi All,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually just figured it out and fixed it!

1.) First - go to this link which applies to many AMD ATI Radeon adapters. http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

2.) Using the link as a guide above a few things need to be different to be able to get this to work with the lucid release with Kernel 3.2.6. In the section that references "sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/maverick" change this to "sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/lucid".

3.) Also - YOU MUST run "prepare-kernel-sources" prior to running the command "dpkg -i fglrx*.deb" or it will not find your 3.2.6 kernel source. This is where I ran into my problem initially.

4.) Once you run that and setup the initial xorg.conf file with "amdconfig --initial -f" and reboot to the 3.2.6 kernel, all worked well!

Hope this will help others!