Thread: Backtrack ISO image issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack ISO image issue

hi all, i am new to the world of pen-testing and information systems security. i have DOWNLOADED the backtrack iso image ( KDE, 64 bit architecture, Direct download) and i find myself unable to install backtrack in virtualbox

do note that i have read thoroughly the backtrack wiki.i have followed through all the steps (successfully) and have created a new virtual machine in Virtualbox (named backtrack with linux OS (ubuntu 64 bit)). but when it comes to the "Add CD/DVD to controller IDE CONTROLLER ", i have a problem. as directed, i navigate to the iso file that i downloaded but i get the following :
    virtualbox error.JPG

NOTE : i intend to use backtrack in my laptop (64 bit - windows 7).but for some reason it does not connect to the internet from my DSL modem. so, i've download the iso file from my desktop pc (windows xp ) and then transferred it to laptop through an external hard drive. the same was done for virtualbox, but i feel that is not the source of my problem.

i have, to the best of my ability, searched google for the answer, but am unable to find one.

please guide me here.
    thank you

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Backtrack ISO image issue

Ok that means that the iso iamage that you downloaded is corrupted, you need to download it again. If it doesnt work then, then i really dont know what is wrong. by the way a Q of my own: Is there a South African mirror for downloading backtrack linux?

Just burned his ISO

yeah i've tried redownloading, didn't work

Did you check the MD5 of the ISO vs the one on the site?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

would you please guide me to it, because the md5 sums in the wiki are for back track 5r2, i downloaded back track 5.

oh by the way, my ignorant brain has woken up - i keep hearing the iso is going to be a 'bootable' one. does that mean after downloading it,i'll have to 'burn' it or something. sorry, am kindova n00b when it comes to this

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Yes, you'll need to burn the ISO to disc (at least I always do). You'll then be able to boot your machine with it, and install BackTrack.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by scottm99 View Post
    Yes, you'll need to burn the ISO to disc (at least I always do). You'll then be able to boot your machine with it, and install BackTrack.
    he is trying to install bt to virtual machine not to real machine. so he don't have to burn .iso file to any disc.

Just burned his ISO

aahhh i've found the issue - incomplete download.

my sincere apologies.re - downloading. thank you all and again, apologies for the false alarm