Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BT5-RC2 issues!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5-RC2 issues!

The best I can do for i915 issue was to insert these modules in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
    intel_agp
    drm
    i915 modeset=1

After then you have to perform also an "upgrade-initramfs -u".
    Now I have the right resolution for console, but the plymouth theme is still the ubuntu 10.04 one.
    I don't set i915.modeset=1 in grub, because it doesn't work.

Set text in grub instead of quiet splash to have a better boot experience.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymax View Post
    The best I can do for i915 issue was to insert these modules in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
    intel_agp
    drm
    i915 modeset=1

After then you have to perform also an "upgrade-initramfs -u".
    Now I have the right resolution for console, but the plymouth theme is still the ubuntu 10.04 one.
    I don't set i915.modeset=1 in grub, because it doesn't work.

Set text in grub instead of quiet splash to have a better boot experience.
    Can you post the steps you took on doing this? I'm also having issue with my video resolution.

Just burned his ISO

BT5R2-GNOME-VM-32, can't set up a shared folder in VMPlayer.

# modprobe vmhgfs
    FATAL: Module vmhgfs not found.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Malachai View Post
    Can you post the steps you took on doing this? I'm also having issue with my video resolution.
    This is not the steps for modifying the initram, but doing this fixed my intel graphics on a fresh install of Backtrack 5 R2:

Code:
    cat "options i915 modeset=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
    Also, you could follow the directions posted above in the thread that specified the change to be made to /etc/default/grub.

Keep in mind, R2 is using Grub2, so directly editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not really a good idea; any time you update grub it will lose your changes, and to be honest, I've never seen the changes I've implemented by directly editing the cfg file actually take place. Edit the /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/ files and run update-grub after instead. Here's a good primer. I was rather upset at the changes made to Grub2 when I first was exposed to it, but now that I've actually learned how it works, it strikes me as more convoluted, but less arcane, and so a good thing.

Good luck. I've not had a chance to work with R2 beyond getting it installed and fixing my graphics, so we'll see if anything else pops up; I've heard of some issues with some alfa cards, and those are what I'm using right now.

Just burned his ISO

I've tried everything to fix i915 issues, but splash issue is still present.
    The real problem is with this kernel and video driver included in R2, all the solutions posted are workaround for all could not use this distro due to black screen after startx.
    BT5 R1 had less tools but it boot faster and without these problems.
    Please fix it as soon as possible.

Just burned his ISO

anyone having issue with metasploit 4?
    it says failed to connect to the database

Just burned his ISO

Is there a problem with the default installation of a crypt module? Perhaps crypt_tkip? I installed well on a Lenovo netbook, had monitor mode working well for both my wireless cards (builtin, and dlink usb), but couldn't get either to connect to my router. Both would give a "Bad Password" error. After chasing the error through wicd and wpa_supplicant, I decided to rmmod the brcmsmac driver and insmod wl.ko, (from the vendor) as I knew this worked from my home ubuntu boot. After much grep-fu, wrestling with make and insmod, dmesg hunting and small source changes (something about ndo_ blah _set_multicast is rennamed in this kernel), I ended up having to manually insert the contents of /lib/modules/3.2.6/kernel/net/wireless/ before insmod would take wl.ko. After doing this, I discovered that my builtin wireless lost monitor mode, but worked fine (as expected). However my dlink usb also worked fine now too, even though it had given the 'bad password' error before, and as far as I know, I didn't change it in any way. Can anybody explain what happened here? And does anybody know the path of the brcmsmac driver, so i can switch back for monitor mode support.

Anyway, that's my story. Great OS so far.

After doing a fresh install it seems that my system lock up is caused by the wireless card going into monitor mode on my netbook I've tried enabling the b43 drivers by following the wiki and still no progress so I think I would be sticking with my alfa usb adapter to do some wireless pentesting.
    It's time to free yer Mind; It's time to cleanse yer Soul

Just burned his ISO

sasagundul yea same here im running bt5 r2 gnome and database isnt connected for metasploit

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234