Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BT5-RC2 issues!

Default Re: BT5-RC2 issues!

Quote Originally Posted by softize View Post
    That 3.2.6 kernel update is not compatible with nvidia driver (the .bin file downloaded from nvidia website).
    It worked in BT5 and BT5R1 (executing that .bin file with the --kernel-source-patch parameter), but that doesn't work
    with the 3.2.6 kernel / BT5R2! So I cannot enter into startx anymore. (32bit, KDE). I tried a workaround, to put
    the --add-this-kernel parameter, but that didn't work either.
    Could someone please fix that bug ASAP? Thanks!
    maybe you can try the following steps:

1. Boot again from BT live cd.

2. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers by invoke the following: sh NVIDIA-Linux-xxxxxxx.run --uninstall (make sure to have the installed NVIDIA package somewhere on your usb stick drive and like)

3. Edit your hdd file and re enable the Kernel Nouveau video driver.

More info here: h**t://ubuntuhowtos.com/howtos/install_or_uninstall_nvidia_drivers

For me it works at some moment of time after an uninspired Monday morning

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

I got a strange one too...
    After doing an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    reaver v1.4 finally worked fine for me.

Then when adding the new repositories as per the blogpost and
    updating again, same story as before, no association. lols.. driving me mad..

Oh well.

Edit 02-03
    Ah, seems to work great with the VMware version of BT5 R2, will do a fresh install on netbook and check again.
    Edit 03-03
    YAY ! Everything works great on netbook too with a nice fresh install
    Last edited by TAPE; 03-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Just burned his ISO

I'm having a video driver issue. On the Bk r1 my i915 intel video card worked perfect now on R2 it doesn't work at all. I been trying to find someone else that is having the same issue or something. Haven't figure out what the heck went wrong. It's been like this for 2 days... UGH... Anyone have a clue how to install or update the i915 intell video driver?

Just burned his ISO

I'm having issues with my Alfa 036NH (rt2800usb) now. I tried a fresh install of R1 then upgraded to R2 without changing anything else. It sees the card but won't do anything with it. I don't know what version of Compat-Wireless drivers will work with this new kernel. I have tried a few but without success.

Quick update: system lockup on bt5r2 after a few days of testing has been reduced significantly as earlier it would lockup within a few minutes but as of recently it now reaches about an hour or so before locking up and it seems my bluetooth mouse is now working fine....
    It's time to free yer Mind; It's time to cleanse yer Soul

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Malachai View Post
    I'm having a video driver issue. On the Bk r1 my i915 intel video card worked perfect now on R2 it doesn't work at all. I been trying to find someone else that is having the same issue or something. Haven't figure out what the heck went wrong. It's been like this for 2 days... UGH... Anyone have a clue how to install or update the i915 intell video driver?
    I had the same issue. The solution for me was to add i915.modeset=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and run update-grub. YMMV.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Osirium View Post
    maybe you can try the following steps:

1. Boot again from BT live cd.

2. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers by invoke the following: sh NVIDIA-Linux-xxxxxxx.run --uninstall (make sure to have the installed NVIDIA package somewhere on your usb stick drive and like)

3. Edit your hdd file and re enable the Kernel Nouveau video driver.

More info here: h**t://ubuntuhowtos.com/howtos/install_or_uninstall_nvidia_drivers

For me it works at some moment of time after an uninspired Monday morning
    Thanks for the tip. But tbh, I am very much scared of the nouveau driver. With the first kernel (BT5) it was a pain to
    finally get rid of the nouveau driver and being able to install the newest one (NVIDIA... .bin) from the Nvidia website.
    Since then it worked fine, even under BT5R1 and having 2 or 3 kernel updates since then.
    It just doesn't work with the 3.2.6 kernel (BT5R2, that is). But the grub bootmenu (I have a dualboot notebook, being
    able to boot my productive Win7 too) I still have the option to boot with the kernel I had before the 3.2.6 upgrade.
    With this older kernel I am at least able to boot backtrack and startx works.
    If I uninstall the official Nvidia driver now and install the nouveau driver, I am very much scared I would
    - loose the ability to atleast boot+startx with the old kernel
    - loose the ability to use the CUDA and GPU based cracking tools
    So instead of a risky "downgrade" to the nouveau driver, I'd really prefer an ability to simply install that .bin file
    driver from the Nvidia website. This must somehow work with the 3.2.6. kernel, just as it did with the older kernels,
    please! Thank you.
    P.S. While googling for that problem, I have seen that users in other distros are able to use the newest NVIDIA .bin file
    together with the 3.2.6 kernel. Only in backtrack it doesn't work. So it's kinda incompatibility with the modified/customized
    3.2.6 kernel that the backtrack distro guys do distribute?

ok its official, Fresh BT5-RC2 install and It still has a problem with atheros AR9285 driver. I can now only connect to the internet with my alfa card....arghhh!! This is going to be a pain in the neck! Anyone with any Idea's your welcome to leave a reply!!!

Just burned their ISO

ATI Radeon HD
    BT5R2 KDE 64 Live DVD won't startx
    Previous BT version fixes don't work.

Command summary:
    apt-get install lynx
    lynx www.google.com
    search for "linux ati"
    lynx.jpg
    lynx1.jpg
    chmod +x amd*run
    ./amd*run
    aticonfig --initial
    startx

I myself had a few issues with my ATI Radeon HD 5700, and separate home partition in ubiquity. Live DVD wouldn't startx and the installer kept crapping out by remounting the drives during install. Here's what I did:
    before startx, I installed lynx
    apt-get install lynx
    Then I googled for linux ati, downloaded and installed the driver (don't forget to "chmod +x" the driver). after aticonfig --initial, I was able to get a working X.

While most people probably don't use a separate home partition, I do, and you may have the same issue I did. So I installed on the root partition without touching home. After install was complete (had to do the ati thing again), I added my home partition to fstab, following the directions here:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=84419

I think the radeon driver with lucid is too old for my graphics card. What ever, I got it working, hope this helps someone.

Just burned his ISO

@softize install linux-headers-3.2.6 and linux-source then run (prepare-kernel-sources) nvidia 295.20 works in bt5r2 upgraded

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast