Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT5 R2 dist-upgrade failed

Just burned his ISO

Default BT5 R2 dist-upgrade failed

The packages failed to install after running apt-get dist-upgrade: "the version did not start with an integer"

After reboot, I'm still running the 2.6.39 kernel, and there's no available updates.

How do I correct, or just wait for the new iso?

Default Re: BT5 R2 dist-upgrade failed

I've never seen this error before on BT5. Without further info, we cant help you...
    For example - have you enabled any other repositories in sources.list ?
    Which package failed specifically ?
    Try to be more descriptive.

Just burned his ISO

I to am haveing the same issue ... All other packages have installed sucessfully. I have rebooted apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade and can not get the kernal installed. I tried apt-get purge the kernal removing it, rebooting then apt-get update, apt-get install linux-image-3.2.6 and still wont install. here is the paste bin of the error and then the crash report. any help would be most appricated. Thank you in advance. Error: http://pastebin.com/tZynKniY Crash Report : http://pastebin.com/L6iJF9jj .

Just burned his ISO

Well i am going to guess this worked as when i type in uname -a i get the proper kernel version. What i found to work is installing grub with apt-get install grub, then apt-get install linux-image-3.2.6, then dpkg --configure linux-image-3.2.6 . This seems to have brought the kernel up to date however upon boot i get the Ubuntu 10.04 screen despite using fix-splash.

Just burned his ISO

for me, the upgrade was successfully done, but some packages during updating not installed, for example:
    W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

Just experienced this my self.

Will try to give an short history description about this bug, but first I would like to send my gratitude to the team, I've spent some time making the BT5R1 look how I wanted it to look, installing the scripts and programs
    I tend to use and further more collecting pentest rapports and other sensitive materials. Now that is all gone (yea I know, backup would have been greate.)

Nevertheless, It should not have been gone if I had not been so stupid thinking that an dist-upgrade would in fact mess up my hole system, especially when it is from the makers of the dist.

So what did I do to deserve this re-install and loss of data.

Well here is what I did..

1. I read this page http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backt...acktrack-5-r2/
    - Thinking this had to be something I needed to do as uname -a shows kernel version 2.6..... etc.
    And what is not cooler than having the latest BT version installed?

2. I started with apt-get update

Then followed the guide to the dot..

apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install beef
    reboot

Just as the guide said..

Upon reboot I checked to see that the kernel had been updated with uname -a and it now showed version 3.2.6...
    So yea that rocked.

I then did the same as I did with R1, namely

fix-splash
    reboot.

just as the guide says.

Then the shit turns

1. Got to login and typed root/toor as normal and the screen loaded into root.
    2. Then did startx as normal

And here is as described by many others.
    Nothing happens, the computer does not loads, but just hangs on the black empty screen..

Did not matter what I did after that, reboot, power off and so worth, it's just hangs on that empty screen..

I tried then to do apt-get autoremove dist-upgrade to see if that fixed it, but no
    I tried to apt-get remove beef with no luck

The only thing left to do was to re-install BT5 R1 and that worked without a hitch.

So please take this bug seriously, it is a genuine bug!!!

Muts, I truly hope you can fix this issue, that would be awsome.

Thanks for all your hard work, and besides this bug, what an excellent distro, just love it.

Keep it up, and I hope this description helps a bit more than the one above.

I am running this on a

Acer Aspire 5742Z - Just a blast to host Backtrack with its onboard Atheros card and 500GB disk.

PS..
    Don't know if this has something to do with it, but this laptop as many others I would imagine runs on a Intel@ HD Graphics

Excuse any bad spelling, English is not my native language..

Quote Originally Posted by exeption View Post
    1. Got to login and typed root/toor as normal and the screen loaded into root.
    2. Then did startx as normal
    And here is as described by many others.
    Nothing happens, the computer does not loads, but just hangs on the black empty screen.
    (...)
    PS..
    Don't know if this has something to do with it, but this laptop as many others I would imagine runs on a Intel@ HD Graphics
    You could have kept all your files, even though you couldn't access the graphical interface. But what's done it's done.
    As for the "black empty screen" problem after startx, you would have to edit your grub.cfg file and add "i915.modeset=1" to your boot commands. (i915 because you're using an Intel graphics card). What happens when you upgrade is that grub gets re-written, so you have to edit it after upgrading.
    I still have to do this procedure every time I re-install BT5, be it the original BT5, BT5R1 or BT5R2 (upgraded from R1).
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-26-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Thank you Snayler, once again you come to the rescure, most appreciated.
    But as I am going through the bug section of this forum, I see there is some other issue regarding the upgrade
    to R2, such as e.g. bluetooth etc. What is your recommendation? Should I wait till the 1st of March and then download the official release
    or should I just go and update it now with the fix above amended?

Love to hear from you again

Quote Originally Posted by exeption View Post
    But as I am going through the bug section of this forum, I see there is some other issue regarding the upgrade
    to R2, such as e.g. bluetooth etc. What is your recommendation? Should I wait till the 1st of March and then download the official release
    or should I just go and update it now with the fix above amended?
    I would go with a clean install of BT5R2. I'm not saying it will not be buggy, but at least we can rule out upgrade issues. It's my opinion.
    However, you can still upgrade now. Just use the fix mentioned above and be ready to see "Ubuntu 10.04" instead of the BT5 logo while booting. I did it on one of my laptops and it works well, some minor glitches but functionality remains intact, and that's what matters most.

Thanks, think I'll wait for sure, 1st of March is not far away and while BT5R1 works like a charm, I am in no hurry to upgrade. It was just the geek within me that triggered my curiosity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast