Quote Originally Posted by Osirium View Post
Yep indeed but I'm trying to warn people which use this technology over BT 5 and know of what they should expect after the upgrade.

As an example I use BT as host OS because I need that and I was more than happy about his performances with Vmware so far.

I'll keeping update guys about this one and let you know if I'll find a working tip
I am hesitant to post this as a workaround for VMWare 8.0.4 ....that said if your running BT5R2 with backtrack repo packages only..no 3rd party...and you verify basic info from the 3.2.0 patch; then
1. Use at your own risk.
2. Backup your system.
3. Modify the versions numbers only...in the patch-modules_3.2.0.sh; You only need to edit the 2nd and 3rd lines after the comment field; changing 8.0.2 and 4.0.2 to Version 8.0.4 & 4.0.4 respectively as shown below.

<---begin code patch-modules_3.2.0.sh--->
#! /bin/bash
# VMWare Workstation/Player _host kernel modules_ patcher v0.6.2 by ©2010 Artem S. Tashkinov
# Tailored and fixed vmblock patching for the 2.6.39 patch by Stefano Angeleri (weltall)
# Use at your own risk.

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.4
plreqver=4.0.4

-snip-
<---end code patch-modules_3.2.0.sh--->

This was the only change necessary for the workaround steps outlined for VMWare 8.0.2. to get version 8.0.4 operating.

When the script is run it will iterate several times.

Again... backup prior to use; then backup the "Modules sources backup can be found in the '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-workstation8.0.4-2012-07-xx-backup' directory". I performed the patch on 3 systems in the past 24 hours with no instability only because it was absolutely necessary. While the script was never intended to be ported, the VMWare Bundle made this possible simply changing the version alone ...I cannot say the same for any other version, nor would I recommend doing so as a regular practice. Cheers