Thread: Installation of Nvidia with Optimus Tech

Just burned his ISO

Default Installation of Nvidia with Optimus Tech

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have researched for many hours on how to correctly install Nvidia Drivers for the GT540m and have come to the conclusion (after seeing many posts about this) that the Nvidia drivers with Optimus tech is not supported and/or will not work with BT5 or linux in general. I looked into bumblebee and pyrit and CUDA tool kit (i did successfully install bumblebee, lost with pyrit and the CUDA toolkit); however, since seeing and reading so many different forums and websites and tutorials, it is unclear to me on how to do the installations of pyrit, CUDA toolkit and Nvidia drivers correctly and without hiccups. I have tried installing the Nvidia drivers in many different ways and I always run into a problem with not being able to startx and other errors. I have an Acer Aspire with a hybrids graphics system with an i5 processor. I do not want to play any games or do any graphic designs etc, I would be utilizing the GPU for BT5 features (WEP, WPA2 cracks, etc). Could anyone possibly guide me in the right direction with how to correctly install and configure the Nvidia drivers, pyrit and the CUDA toolkit. I am getting a little confused on how to do so correctly.

Thanks,

W1K3D

I'm on a boat somewhere off the Spanish coast.

Default Re: Installation of Nvidia with Optimus Tech

I can help ya with the Nvidia driver but as for cuda or pyrite I have not used those apps.

So for BT5 and Nvidia what specific error are you getting?
    Are you installing the video driver from the Nvidia web site or from another source?

Rasta420

Just burned his ISO

Had same problem until yesterday, have the 540m as well. Doing the code from this post made things work for me
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=11

A good place to start is the wiki ??

Trust me I feel your pain I've done so many re-installs of the os because the system becomes unstable.

Read Wiki link to prepare your system

Read Wiki link for cuda I advise downloading and compiling the latest video drivers from nvidia I had lots of problems here...

Disable the other video drivers the one i had the most issues with was nouveau after following a few of the fixs on the forum i was able to disable.

I would also suggest downloading the source code of pyrit & cpyrit from here

Hope this helps

Enjoy

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dwjs1974 View Post
    A good place to start is the wiki ??

Trust me I feel your pain I've done so many re-installs of the os because the system becomes unstable.

Read Wiki link to prepare your system

Read Wiki link for cuda I advise downloading and compiling the latest video drivers from nvidia I had lots of problems here...

Disable the other video drivers the one i had the most issues with was nouveau after following a few of the fixs on the forum i was able to disable.

I would also suggest downloading the source code of pyrit & cpyrit from here

Hope this helps

Enjoy
    I will try this within the next day or so and update you on what happened with this. I am just going to backup what information I can. I forgot to mention in my original post I am using the 32 bit KDE version of BT5, does this change anything at all?

Thanks

W1K3D,

I have the answers you seek. When I get off work today, I will do a full write up on this matter. As well I will provide useful information regarding turning off the nvidia card when not needed, reducing power consumption DRAMATICALLY..

Until 1630... Pffbt!
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by snafu777 View Post
    W1K3D,

I have the answers you seek. When I get off work today, I will do a full write up on this matter. As well I will provide useful information regarding turning off the nvidia card when not needed, reducing power consumption DRAMATICALLY..

Until 1630... Pffbt!
    Thank you very much.

That quote about the computer screwing up because it is the users fault, there is a manifesto where that quote originates from here is the link if anyone is interested in reading it: http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/manifesto.html

Just burned his ISO

As of today I am upgrading to BT5 R2, just keeping you all updated on the version I am using. hopefully this does not change anything when installing this GPU.

-W1K3D

Just burned his ISO

After upgrading I realized I can still use the older 2.6.39.4 kernel as well as the 3.2.6 kernel, I will continue using the 2.6.39.4 kernel as the 3.2.6 kernel is being problematic.

W13K3D,

As promised. The link is here. I thought I posted here last night, but evidently it didn't take
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]