Thread: Few problems with ettercap

Just burned his ISO

Default Few problems with ettercap

I've got the following problems with ettercap:

1. When I open ettercap in GUI (non-root account), I can't select any network interface because the combo box is empty. How can I change it? I can only suppose it's because as a non-root user, I can't use command 'ifconfig'. By the way, is it possible to perform that command by other users (I mean by non-root)?

2. I'm unable to capture passwords on ssl protocol (https etc.) from my laptop, not even mention about LAN. When I was reinstalling ettercap, everything went smoothly. Then I uncommented lines by 'redir_command_on/off' in etter.conf file. Actually I'm not sure if it's necessary because I don't use iptables. At least I think so because this is what 'iptables -L' says:
    Code:
    bt ~ # iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    If anyone could give me a hint, I'd be grateful.

Zonkers,

Been having a similar issue. When last I tried, I did not start sniffing before setting the ARP poisoning under MITM. I recommend trying that if you are not yet.

Also, there are Ettercap forums I plan on looking up. Please let me know if the above assists.

Duritoxn
    Fingerprint.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Duritoxn for your reply.

I tried to sniff with ARP poisoning but I think it's unnecessary in my case because I want to check if it works on my local laptop, not remote computers in my LAN. Everything works fine when I capture unsecured passwords but with ssl it doesn't.

I've been looking on ettercap forum about that problem but unfortunately I couldn't find similar problem. Actually there were lots of ssl problems but none of them was suitable to mine.

I'll try to find something more about that and maybe later I'll post my problem on ettercap forum.

EDIT:

I've already checked ettercap on remote hosts and I'm totally surprised it works. I'm still wondering why I can't display passwords from my laptop. Maybe it's because I'm unable to add my IP to target. If somebody has an explanation for that, I'll be really grateful.

Thanks for your useful hint Duritoxn.

Zonkers,

Anytime! Be sure to use that tool responsibly.

Duritoxn
    Fingerprint.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Duritoxn View Post
    Zonkers,

Anytime! Be sure to use that tool responsibly.

Duritoxn
    Don't worry. I want to use it only for education. I'm not going to sniff anybody. Thanks again.