Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorials & Guides in next release of Back | Track

Junior Member imported_soultaker666's Avatar

Well, if everyone here is worried about "spoon feeding" noobs then why is there a Tutorials & Guides section on this forum? All I am saying is that whether there is a tutorial package on the next distro or not the script kiddies are still going to find just enought to get by and impress there friends and yes possibly getting "laid" at the next frat party..
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by soultaker666 View Post
    Well, if everyone here is worried about "spoon feeding" noobs then why is there a Tutorials & Guides section on this forum? All I am saying is that whether there is a tutorial package on the next distro or not the script kiddies are still going to find just enought to get by and impress there friends and yes possibly getting "laid" at the next frat party..
    you have just made our point for us. we have a forum for tutorials and questions. it goes where it needs to and there is no one guide to do every thing. Plus a big bulky book would take up a lot of space on a other wise fairly small distro.

It is obvious by this and the "inconsistencies" in your other posts, and the responses that you gave when these were pointed out to you, that:

1. You do not care about the reputation that Backtrack has.
    2. You don't care how it is used and by whom.

The difference is that we care.

If you cannot understand the difference then I really don't know how else to explain it to you.

In addition to this if it wasn't for the Tutorials & Guides section, how would you have got the help you did on installation, Nessus, GAIM, wireless cards, mutt and sniffing etc etc.

Including these Tutorials etc on the distro would have additional problems too. Everyone who has made a contribution would have to be contacted, and their permission gained to distribute them in this way. Even though this is an open community, the writers of these posts have rights, copyright being one, and rights over how they are subsequently used. People are very protective of their work and how it is used, and rightly so. Some people think that just because it is on a public forum or website that they can just copy it or use it in any way they wish, this is just not so.

I think I have made my feelings on this clear, and explained why I feel so.

Well actually I didn't. I would like to know what it is I answered for you.. The area in question that we are talking about in this debate is the Tutorials and Guides section and not the "Tutorials and Questions" sections. And not only that I have gotten a lot of guides from here that are A-Z tutorials on how to do things with BackTrack.. PureHate I understand that you are a senior member and have great knowledge when it comes to BackTrack but please don't flame on my post just because I am a junior member and you think I lack the brains to have an intelligent conversation about this.. The forum tells all "Tutorials and Guides".. Not only that but I am not oblivious to how much space text takes up.. We are talking about maybe 100mb more added to the distro.. But then again this is all hypothetical and not for us to say it is going in there or not..

Hey BaldingParrot please point out my inconsistancies.. I would really like to see them. Just because of one post about sniffing you automatically think I am saying wireless. Well it is not my fault that you took it the wrong way. If you ask me that is not an inconsistancy but more you not taking the time to try and understand what I am saying..

Hey BaldingParrot please point out my inconsistancies.. I would really like to see them. Just because of one post about sniffing you automatically think I am saying wireless. Well it is not my fault that you took it the wrong way. If you ask me that is not an inconsistancy but more you not taking the time to try and understand what I am saying..
    It is summed up in this Quote of my post from the thread in question
    Read this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soultaker666
    I am wanting to know this--> I have another computer at folks' house that is not in my same network at the house I am at right now. I have been able to sniff the network I am on which is 10.10.x.x.. What I want to do is sniff my computer with a WAN IP such as 12.214.x.x.. I hope this helps you with what I mean..

Ok ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soultaker666
    Ok. Well thank you for your replies. I seem to have misread the header on this section of the forums. I'm sorry I thought this was the Tutorials and guides section. But I must have stumbled into the tear peoples posts apart and make them feel incompetent section. I apologize... Do you guys think that because these people are doing this on LAN IP's that it is there own network? I am just curious is all. But like I said before I must be in the wrong section..

Now do you see what we are talking about ? and why we said what we did ?
    The whole thread can be read here

You said you wanted to perform this on your LAN.

Then you said you wanted to perform this on your LAN over a WAN to another network at another house.

Now it wasn't just me that picked up on the inconsistency, there were several other people who could see it too.

That's it, final words on the subject.

Developer

Well actually I didn't. I would like to know what it is I answered for you.. The area in question that we are talking about in this debate is the Tutorials and Guides section and not the "Tutorials and Questions" sections. And not only that I have gotten a lot of guides from here that are A-Z tutorials on how to do things with BackTrack.. PureHate I understand that you are a senior member and have great knowledge when it comes to BackTrack but please don't flame on my post just because I am a junior member and you think I lack the brains to have an intelligent conversation about this.. The forum tells all "Tutorials and Guides".. Not only that but I am not oblivious to how much space text takes up.. We are talking about maybe 100mb more added to the distro.. But then again this is all hypothetical and not for us to say it is going in there or not..
    ok first of all I did not flame you nor did I insult your intelligence. Our member status also has nothing to do with this. If you did not want our opinion then you should have emailed your request to remote exploit. we are simply trying to help you understand our position. as a matter of fact we are not on the development team so I could be way off. my position is the distro is a compilation of tools. if you take the time to look each tool on the distro includes usage instructions and a man page. I love this forum and I love to tweak and add to my distro. the other week I totally reinstalled with some different mods from new things discovered on this forum. the point I m making is the forum and the wiki are here to be a living breathing manual. I also say this a lot most of the tools on bt have there own forums to ask questions in. let me tell you what I did to learn. I burned my iso. I asked a few noob questions on the forum.I was told to search . I got a resentment.I spent a few days going through the menu one tool at a time and downloaded all the info I could about each one. I set up a dummy server and net work I used each tool on myself till I understood what it was doing. I got vunerable soft ware and used the fuzzers to see how vuneeabilities are discovered. I put in a lot of work. I don't mind sharing it because I'm a firm beliver in the community of linux and open source and also we alll need help and the more we share the better help we get. I for one will not give my whole manual away but if you have a legal specific question I will help. now I will step down off my soapbox

I think it should be distributed without a login/password. This would ensure some level of intelligence of the users.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

all documentation is yet in the cd...

open firefox, click on bt wiki
    you have link for here + basic infos in the wiki...
    i think every user of bt must know how to make a connection under linux.....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Well thanks for the reply PureHate I understand what you are saying and I agree. If you want to know how to do things you should definately research it for yourself. For I think this is the only way to truely learn something.. As for BaldingParrots response. Where does it say that I wanted to to do it it on my lan and then change to wan? I guess I don't see the inconsitency that you are talking about. At any rate I am not a blackhat hacker or a hacker at all for that matter for I still have a lot to learn. All I can hope is that this sites administrator and all of the people that add to it keep up all of the great work they have done thus far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast