Thread: airodump no client

Just burned his ISO

Default airodump no client

hi, i am using backtrack 5 for testing my wifi connection but i am getting no clients in the airoump window. i have a net book with a broadcom chipset on which i am using backtrack 5 as a live cd. this is what i am doing
    i connect my phone to the wireless AP
    the internet is working on the phone so it means data packets are flowing to and from the AP
    i start backtrack on the net book
    then i give the following commands
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    this shows that mon0 is the monitor mode interface for my chipset
    this also shows that some proceses (dhclient) are on the same interface ie. wlan0 so i kill them
    then i start airodump-ng with airodump-ng mon0
    this shows me my ap in the networks part but no client is shown ( even after waiting for 10 min)in the client part even when my phone is connected to wifi and actively using internet

can some one tell what is wrong. is it something to do with my broadcom chipset as i have read broadcom is the most difficult chipset for pentesting

:: maybe it is something to do with the broadcom chipset. the newer version of backtrack(ie r1) doesn't even list any wireless interface present on the netbook. i cant figure out what is wrong
    Last edited by YogiBear; 12-02-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Some additional testing done

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: airodump no client

Having the same issues, im using a secondary linksys WUSB100 although sometimes i will get results but other times i come up with nothing.

Just burned his ISO

Hi, SAME ISSUE

I have installed BT 5 on Vmware player latest version with Digicom DUSB 110N successfully.

Airmon-ng shows: Interface: wlan0 Chipshet: Ralink RT2870/3070 driver:rt2800usb

As I have gone step by step for cracking wep/wpa but airodump-ng <mon0> doesnot show wifi AP not any one

my step for wep:

1. airmon-ng
    (it shows wlan0 as interface)
    2. airmon-ng stop wlan0
    3. ifconfig wlan0 down
    4. macchanger --mac fake mac wlan0
    5. airmon-ng start wlan0
    (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
    6. airmon-ng wlan0 up
    7.airodump-ng mon0

(No AP shown though supposed to show the AP)

Note: tried the steps many though doesn't work

Hope to response prompt.

Thanks
    Sushan1982

Just burned his ISO

In my case i have found the problem is with the brcm80211 driver that is loaded for the broadcom chipset. it tells me that the interface is in monitor mod but in fact the interface is not in P-Mode which is required for data packet capturing and that's why it is not seeing any clients. it is only capturing the broadcast beacons.does any one know how to fix this?

sushan1982: try the same steps w/o changing MAC

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YogiBear View Post
    In my case i have found the problem is with the brcm80211 driver that is loaded for the broadcom chipset. it tells me that the interface is in monitor mod but in fact the interface is not in P-Mode which is required for data packet capturing and that's why it is not seeing any clients. it is only capturing the broadcast beacons.does any one know how to fix this?

sushan1982: try the same steps w/o changing MAC

It is the driver, not compatible for airodump-ng...You can try the b43 driver,...

Please, you must understand that BT5 is the OS, putting togheter many programs, and one of them is the aircrack-ng suite (airodump, aireplay and aircrack)...
    So you have to see there the hardware compatibility.

I leave the link so that all of you guys can check compatibility chipsets supported by aircrack-ng suite.

PHP Code:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers 
    Look for your chipset in the 2 tables in this page and read carefully....

Hope it helps...

Happy new year....

Just burned his ISO

thanks maverik35 for help. i had tried b43 and b43 legacy drivers but was not able to do so properly.this is what i had done. first l turned the wlan0 interface down, then rmmod the brcm80211 driver, then modprobe b43 and b43legacy both but it did not start the wlan interface but iy started again with brcm80211 . what did i do wrong.the b43 drivers are present in the distro so i do not understand why did it not start. do i have to blacklist brcm80211 in order for b43 to work

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Ok, try re doing the rmmod brcm80211 (can also use the modprobe -r brcm80211) and modprobe b43, then restart the wicd or network, depending which one you are using, and try...Perhaps the b43 is not supporting your wifi device.

If still nothing, you would have to check the wifi card compatibility with aircrack-ng suite...
    Here is the link:
    PHP Code:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers#which_is_the_best_card_to_buy 
    Take a look at the table, your chipset and driver to it is not supported for injection/monitor mode, and I quote:

Broadcom 802.11n brcm80211 FOSS wireless driver for BCM4313, BCM43224, BCM43225 chipsets
    Currently does not support monitor/injection

Just above it, it is the b43, widelly supported.

The thing is, I belive that the b43 driver is not compatible with your wifi card...

Hope it helps...

Just burned his ISO

maverik35 thanks for helping. i have found that my chipset won't work with aircrack. even on windows there is only a single application that can capture packets from this chipset. btw do you know if i can install another wifi chip beside the one i am having so that i have two ifi chips on one netbook?

you may want to reinstall your driver... try this..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598930

you may want to reinstall your driver... try this..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598930