Thread: BT2 boot freeze on new toshiba

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2 boot freeze on new toshiba

Hey I had to get a new laptop cause other was stolen, so I bought a new Toshiba Satellite A135. Anway when I run BT2 it loads fine theen it gives me this line
    cs: IO port probe 0x100-0x3af then it freezes. I have try'd a few fixes I was told about and nothing has worked. Would love some help if at all possible.

same here.......

I bought a A135-S4727 recently. Pcmcia works great, fortunately.

It's been my experience that the nopcmcia cheatcode doesn't work with BT2 final. You should try it on your hardware and see.

Your other option would be to boot bt on another box and copy the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file to a thumbdrive. Edit the file and blacklist your pcmcia modules. Mine are yenta_socket and rsrc_static. You'll then need to remaster the bt iso and create a bt/rootcopy/etc/modprobe.d/ directory and put your edited blacklist file in it. I haven't tried this but it should work. The rootcopy changes are copied much earlier than any modules are loaded. This should keep pcmcia services from locking you up. Once you get booted up, you can research your computer and try to figure out a way to get your cardslot working. This seemed to be easier before pccardctl.

If your laptop will boot off a thumbdrive, it would probably be easier to do a usb install and copy your blacklist file to that than to remaster the iso.

Please post your results.

Good Luck

hey ghaze, i can get it to boot using the "bt nohotplug" i can login fine but i can not startx .. well i can but it just has some far out colours and freezes i have added the ati module and i tried the ati command but its has errors.. i cant remember what it said but i can post if you think it would help.

Cheers

Did you try running "xconf" first?

If you are using nohotplug you'll need to load the modules your hardware needs by hand. Run "lspci > lspci.txt" then copy lspci text somewhere. Google your specific hardware to find out what modules you need to load. I'd try to get my network card working first. After you've figured out what modules you need to load, write a script to load them and run it every time you boot.

Might be easier to try to exclude your pcmcia modules than to manually load all the other modules you need, every time.

Some hardware still uses /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to set up memory and irqs for your cardslot. By disabling the memory addresses that are causing you problems, you may be able to get it working. You are still looking at having to remaster an iso or customize a usb install.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/ke...ia/pcmcia.html

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/ke...mciautils.html

Good Luck

cheers, if im looking to do a HDD install of Linux other than backtrack but want to download the tools individually and install which would you recommend?

if im looking to do a HDD install of Linux other than backtrack but want to download the tools individually and install which would you recommend?
    Slackware or Gentoo

cheers ghaze i'll give slackware a go