Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: damn small linux on psp

Default damn small linux on psp

hey does anyone know about damn small linux? cuz want to use linux on my psp do do some mobile pen testing and would like to use dsl on the psp and run kismet and stuff.

here the thing i have my psp set to run linux, u need custom firmware and a program called bosch to emulate a pc. now i need to configure binary filas and stuff like that but umaa... im kinda lost. you can run win 95 easy but i dont want win!!! in you google it the first site that usally comes up is helpfull

its a cool project, exept i dont usdersatnd everything about linux yet so i would apreciate if somone could read up and tell me in non techie english what ineed to do.

Yellow Dog makes the PS3 *nix platform, so maybe they do something for PSP too?
    Just an idea (I don't own either of them!)

darn i googled it for a lil and saw from only search results that its only for the ps3. which i dont own...

Not sure how you could have done any meaningful searching in 3 mins, including the reply.

Someone like an Administrator (who posts very little) take the time to give you their opinion on somewhere that may help with what you are trying to do, and all you can give it is a lousy 3min.

That's like saying FU, just tell me where my solution is.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Not sure how you could have done any meaningful searching in 3 mins, including the reply.
    well thats the thing its wasnt meaning full. just by the headlines on google, there was no metioning on runnignit on psp

anyways the psp has only 32 megs of ram, unlike the ps3.

No prob - like I said, it was only an idea. I don't own either, so have had no interest in either!
    I have to agree though, it might take a little more research time!

It seemed a logical link that if Yellow Dog have an "agreement" with Sony to produce an OS for the PS3, then just *maybe* they might develop something similar for M$'s other toy - the PSP. Especially seeing as Yellow Dog have concentrated on PSP game compatibility with their PS3 OS.

Does the PSP have standard 802.11? What's the chipset?

(Have you looked at the GP2X, which is a native *nix platform. Again, it's just a vague suggestion, as it too is a handheld games platform. Although it doesn't sound like you're too familiar with cross-compiling, etc. Personally, I'd stick with the Zaurus )

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    No prob - like I said, it was only an idea. I don't own either, so have had no interest in either!
    I have to agree though, it might take a little more research time!

It seemed a logical link that if Yellow Dog have an "agreement" with M$ to produce an OS for the PS3, then just *maybe* they might develop something similar for M$'s other toy - the PSP. Especially seeing as Yellow Dog have concentrated on PSP game compatibility with their PS3 OS.

Does the PSP have standard 802.11? What's the chipset?

(Have you looked at the GP2X, which is a native *nix platform. Again, it's just a vague suggestion, as it too is a handheld games platform. Although it doesn't sound like you're too familiar with cross-compiling, etc. Personally, I'd stick with the Zaurus )
    I think you mean sony

no yellow dog doesnt have anything to do with PSPs

and yes the psp has a wifi, its a b but i have no clue on what the hardware is.

linux cant run on the psp. the hardware isnt like a pc, but if you have one of the earlier firwares like i do, you can upgrade to a homebrew firware. from there you can run homebrew games and apps. there is an app which is called bochs. it emulates a computer, bios hard disks, cpu and so on. from bochs, you can host an OS. so get this the psp is running its firmware, which is running and application, which is running an os on an emulated computer. cool right?

but the thing is the damn config file. well this is what it is

################################################## #############
    # bochsrc.txt file for DLX Linux disk image.
    ################################################## #############

# how much memory the emulated machine will have
    megs: 8

# filename of ROM images
    romimage: file=ms0:/VM/BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
    vgaromimage: file=ms0:/VM/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest

# hard disk
    ata0: enabled=1, ioaddr1=0x1f0, ioaddr2=0x3f0, irq=14
    ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/hd10meg.img", cylinders=306, heads=4, spt=17

# choose the boot disk.
    boot: c

# where do we send log messages?
    log: ms0:/VM/bochsout.txt

# disable the mouse, since DLX is text only
    mouse: enabled=0

i grabbed this one off of a tutorial on some site. this is for a diff version on linux, but i want to put dsl, so i can load it with pen testing software.

im almost geting it on right. just play with it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I think you mean sony
    Yes, I think so too!!

./heads off to hit the "edit" button

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Yes, I think so too!!

./heads off to hit the "edit" button
    Don't fix the quote though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast