Thread: problem with graphics & desktop effects

Just burned his ISO

Default problem with graphics & desktop effects

hi,

I'm new to Linux. I've installed BackTrack 5 R1 KDE x64 on Toshiba Satellite C660-M13X. Everything works well except the Graphics. It has Intel® Core™ i3-2330M Processor with Intel® HD Graphics 3000.

root@bt:~# lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

When I run video files, the view is not clear. I can't enable Wobbly windows & a lot of desktop effects. I tried even with compiz but it didn't work. I guess the problem is with my graphic driver. But there is no driver manager like (Additional drivers or Hardware drivers) like ubuntu.

Can anyone help me with this?

thanx

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: problem with graphics & desktop effects

I'm having the same issue, well, that I need to install drivers, but don't know where to find them

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: problem with graphics & desktop effects

Hello,
    This is my first post on BT forums, I hope it will solve this old problem.

So, I had the same problem and I managed to solve it by updating the Xorg display driver for intel adapters (namely xserver-xorg-video-intel package and its dependencies).
    The hardware and software used for implementing & testing this: Lenovo Thinkpad T420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, with new generation display adapter from Intel(listed by lspci as "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)"). I am using Backtrack 5 R2 64bit as OS.

The xserver-xorg-video-intel upgrade procedure I took from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484137
    (see the first post of the user named "rlzaleski" ..)

The commands (which obviously must be executed as root) are:
    Code:
    # add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade
    After the above commands are successfully executed, restart the X server or reboot the whole system.
    Next time when X starts, the difference should be visible: desktop effects are working like a charm, videos play smoothly in fullscreen, and glxgears fps reports should be significantly higher than before the upgrade.
    Here are the outputs in my case, before/after upgrade.
    Before:
    Code:
    # glxgears                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    912 frames in 5.0 seconds                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    962 frames in 5.0 seconds                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    928 frames in 5.0 seconds                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    948 frames in 5.0 seconds                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    970 frames in 5.0 seconds
    ...and after:
    Code:
    # glxgears 
    13313 frames in 5.0 seconds
    13937 frames in 5.0 seconds
    13931 frames in 5.0 seconds
    13803 frames in 5.0 seconds
    13811 frames in 5.0 seconds
    15223 frames in 5.0 seconds
    NOTE: if you don't have glxgears command, install "mesa-utils" package.

So, this upgrade worked in my case. Hope it helps others with similar problem.
    If this works for anybody else, please write here a short confirmation.
    Last edited by WepWapWee; 01-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.