Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: netgear 511 card not showing up

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I hate to be a smart ass but this seems to be a purecase of user error. I have the same card and it gets great reception. Plus if the prez is untrusting of your motives then so am I.
    Well, there is no way to prove my intentions unless you want to call up my brother and ask him if its ok if i attempt to crack his router security to show him he should get a better one.

In any event, what kind of user error would there be, how close exactly do I have to be? I am sitting outside his APT on his stairs, his AP is is maybe through a few walls, it isn't that powerful. The data column isn't moving AT ALL and the power is pretty low, just curious here, I am not doing anything illegal I have consent.

Maybe I should have said that before everyone got weary, i didn't know the code of ethics around here.

Quote Originally Posted by qwik3r View Post
    nevermind about the wifi 06 i wanted it to start on channel six but it was the wrong command.

As for using the wrong interface I am following that was posted backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Wireless#NetGear_WPN511 on how to activate it.
    Thought you had wg511t? Whatever you have, be sure to use the interface that is monitoring?

Btw? how is cracking your brothers wep pass, showig he needs a new router? It means he needs WPA.

A router can be cracked from as far away as you get decent signal, as well as newer routers are secured from attacks.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Paton View Post
    Thought you had wg511t? Whatever you have, be sure to use the interface that is monitoring?

Btw? how is cracking your brothers wep pass, showig he needs a new router? It means he needs WPA.

A router can be cracked from as far away as you get decent signal, as well as newer routers are secured from attacks.
    Forgive me but that is what I mean't. He claims his router is fine but I saw how many clients are leaching off his connection after I got into this. He has a cheapo router anyway, he would be better off buying something better that will allow for the proper security.

I must have linked you to the wrong one. I do have the 511T

NetGear WG511T

* Driver : Madwifi-ng
    * Chipset : Atheros
    * Notes: Works with Backtrack, (out of the box).

Supports all current Aireplay-NG attacks (-1,-2,-3,-4,-5)

BT ~#airmon-ng start ath0
    BT ~#airmon-ng start wifi0

Developer

You should probably post all your commands from boot to error or problem. I gotta say though this topic is covered extensively all over the forum. In my experiance if you have a power rating of less than 10 in airo dump then the frag and chop chop attack will not succed. since you said its a cheapo router then maby its not picking you up. remeber the transmision goes both ways. and last but not least on the aircrack site it says "tough shit somtimes it doesnt work"

Just burned his ISO

You should probably post all your commands from boot to error or problem. I gotta say though this topic is covered extensively all over the forum. In my experiance if you have a power rating of less than 10 in airo dump then the frag and chop chop attack will not succed. since you said its a cheapo router then maby its not picking you up. remeber the transmision goes both ways. and last but not least on the aircrack site it says "tough shit somtimes it doesnt work"

I have checked this forum extensively and I do know that this topic has been covered, but everyones questions are slightly different and sometimes its difficult to search for an exact question. But thanks for letting me know about the power rating. Is there an alternative if the power rating is less? Other then using chopchop or fragment attack and can you use both to speed up injection even further?

Reading aircrack-ng's site about fragmentation attack it says:

For madwifi-ng drivers (Atheros chipset), you must change MAC address of your card to the MAC address you will injecting with otherwise the attack will not work. See this FAQ entry regarding how to change your card’s MAC address.

Odd because I didn't have to change my MAC when I did my router, I just associated myself with it with a fake authorization - is changing the MAC actually necessary?

This is a total newb and stupid question, but how can I tell if clients are the AP with airodump? And by clients does it basically mean that other people are connected to a wireless network or could it be people who are connected downloading part of a torrent or what. Thanks

Just burned his ISO

any feedback on the last comment?

Developer

I have checked this forum extensively and I do know that this topic has been covered, but everyones questions are slightly different and sometimes its difficult to search for an exact question. But thanks for letting me know about the power rating. Is there an alternative if the power rating is less? Other then using chopchop or fragment attack and can you use both to speed up injection even further?

Reading aircrack-ng's site about fragmentation attack it says:

For madwifi-ng drivers (Atheros chipset), you must change MAC address of your card to the MAC address you will injecting with otherwise the attack will not work. See this FAQ entry regarding how to change your card’s MAC address.

Odd because I didn't have to change my MAC when I did my router, I just associated myself with it with a fake authorization - is changing the MAC actually necessary?

This is a total newb and stupid question, but how can I tell if clients are the AP with airodump? And by clients does it basically mean that other people are connected to a wireless network or could it be people who are connected downloading part of a torrent or what. Thanks
    you are misinterprating what the aircrack site is saying. They are saying that the mac you assosiate with must be the mac you inject with. THEY MUST BE THE SAME. IF YOU CHANGE ONE YOU MUST CHANGE THE OTHER. If you do not have mac filtering enabled then there is no reason to change the mac. and yes there is a really super complex high tech solution for increasing your power rating.GET CLOSER TO THE AP.

Just burned his ISO

you are misinterprating what the aircrack site is saying. They are saying that the mac you assosiate with must be the mac you inject with. THEY MUST BE THE SAME. IF YOU CHANGE ONE YOU MUST CHANGE THE OTHER. If you do not have mac filtering enabled then there is no reason to change the mac. and yes there is a really super complex high tech solution for increasing your power rating.GET CLOSER TO THE AP.

I still don't follow, "the mac you associate with MUST be the mac you inject with"

Isn't that what fake auth is for? Or basically your saying don't change my mac because when i do fake auth with my mac i can't change it to inject etc.

No he's saying, unless the router has MAC filtering on, there is no need to change yours.

Especially if you're not hiding yourself.

Btw.. what's a cheapo router? 90% of home routers are under 40 or 50 bucks.

Developer

I still don't follow, "the mac you associate with MUST be the mac you inject with"

Isn't that what fake auth is for? Or basically your saying don't change my mac because when i do fake auth with my mac i can't change it to inject etc.
    Geez......Im gonna get flamed for this spoonfeeding.

I dont know how more clear to make it. I you assosiate wit 00:12:13:ju:84:kd for example and THEN you change your mac to 55:GY:76:lj:98:96 and then injectIT WILL NOT WORK. the router will not accept injected packets from a mac address that is not assosiated with the router. So if mac filtering is enabled and you change your mac with mac changer to one that is alowed to assosiate with the router YOU MUST use that same mac for the aireplay attack and to connect to the router later on for that matter. The only way around it is to add your mac to the routers log. Since your having so much trouble with this though I wouldnt attempt that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast