Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: netgear 511 card not showing up

Just burned his ISO

Default netgear 511 card not showing up

Hey, newb here using backtrack2 and netgear WG511T. I installed my card in windows then rebooted into backtrack2 then went through the normal rigamarole and doing iwconfig to see what available interfaces. I see a new one after installing this card

So then I did airmong-ng start ath2 6

Bam everything is running fine. I ran into some problems doing packet injection so i decided to just quit everything type reboot and try again. I did so and come back go through the same steps but i don't see the card anymore. I see eth1 doesn't say the MAC address NOTHING. I do

airmon-ng start eth1 6

The list of interfaces and drivers show up I only have eth1 WTF.
    And this driver is the Centrino ugh!!!!!!

So i grab the WAG511 drivers from wildpackets, even though they are not specifically for the card, install those in windows go back my business again still dont' see anything.

What the hell happened? Did i even install the wildpacket drivers correctly since I did them in windows and not linux? I am not a linux guy so I don't know too much about it, learning to navigate through backtrack now is hard enough.

I don't understand how the card is visible as an interface one minute and now its gone the next. Please advise. Thanks.

First look here

Second how do you expect drivers installed in one operating system to work in another. Essentially you are expecting software installed on one computer to be available on another.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by qwik3r View Post
    Hey, newb here using backtrack2 and netgear WG511T. I installed my card in windows then rebooted into backtrack2 then went through the normal rigamarole and doing iwconfig to see what available interfaces. I see a new one after installing this card

So then I did airmong-ng start ath2 6

Bam everything is running fine. I ran into some problems doing packet injection so i decided to just quit everything type reboot and try again. I did so and come back go through the same steps but i don't see the card anymore. I see eth1 doesn't say the MAC address NOTHING. I do

airmon-ng start eth1 6

The list of interfaces and drivers show up I only have eth1 WTF.
    And this driver is the Centrino ugh!!!!!!

So i grab the WAG511 drivers from wildpackets, even though they are not specifically for the card, install those in windows go back my business again still dont' see anything.

What the hell happened? Did i even install the wildpacket drivers correctly since I did them in windows and not linux? I am not a linux guy so I don't know too much about it, learning to navigate through backtrack now is hard enough.

I don't understand how the card is visible as an interface one minute and now its gone the next. Please advise. Thanks.
    whoah dude slow down. First of all the drivers in windows have nothing to do with the drivers in linux .Different OS so different drivers. Now then when you boot back track (with your card in) and you type ifconfig you should see a listing of the interfaces. By default yours should show up as ath0 .I have the same card and it always starts out as ath0. your card uses the "mad wifi" drivers. you would do good to go here and get the latest mad wifi driver. so now you should see your card as ath0. eth0 is your cat 5 hard wire connection. It seems to me that you are trying to use kismet or airo script or somthing else that is creating extra parents for interfaces and you are not destroying the child. Use "airmon-ng stop ath2" or whatever to get rid of extra interfaces. hope that helps

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    First look here

Second how do you expect drivers installed in one operating system to work in another. Essentially you are expecting software installed on one computer to be available on another.
    that time you were quick on the draw

You mean I cant use MS outlook in Backtrak.F#$%K

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    that time you were quick on the draw

You mean I cant use MS outlook in Backtrak.F#$%K
    You snooze you lose.

Actually you can, but I don't think we need to go there right now.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the replies everyone - sorry I am a newb to this, I appreciate the help but can do without the gee dumb newb comments

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    whoah dude slow down. First of all the drivers in windows have nothing to do with the drivers in linux .Different OS so different drivers. Now then when you boot back track (with your card in) and you type ifconfig you should see a listing of the interfaces. By default yours should show up as ath0 .I have the same card and it always starts out as ath0. your card uses the "mad wifi" drivers. you would do good to goand get the latest mad wifi driver. so now you should see your card as ath0. eth0 is your cat 5 hard wire connection. It seems to me that you are trying to use kismet or airo script or somthing else that is creating extra parents for interfaces and you are not destroying the child. Use "airmon-ng stop ath2" or whatever to get rid of extra interfaces. hope that helps
    Thanks for clearing that up!

What version is your card, I thought only V1 were Athros, the rest are Prisms... but re-googling it says they're ALL Athros chips. hmmmmmmmmmm

Just burned his ISO

nope mine is an atheros based chip, working pretty good so far - getting the hang of this wep cracking stuff, pretty interesting. I am writing a paper on security vulnerabilities in wireless networks for school, nothing too revealing or indepth, i don't want to a) get in trouble or b) let everyone know. The purpose of it is how you should take the extra precautions to protect your network.

Update your aircrack suite, and 40,000 is about the max you will need for 64bit and 70,000 for 128bit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast