Thread: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

Just burned his ISO

Default SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

I have installed Backtrack 5 to my hard drive in dual boot with Windows Xp. I am completely new to Linux so be easy on me please. The problem I am having is with a USB network card.

It is a Belkin F5D8053.

If I type in 'airmon-ng' it shows as 'interface: wlan1 Chipset: RTL8187 Driver: r8187'

If I run 'airodump-ng wlan1' I get the 'ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable' error. I did some research and found a post that said:

*Problem:
    *Network interface (or anything else on the pci bus) says "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable"
    *Cause:
    *No IRQ assigned to the device, check /proc/pci (irq says 0)
    *Solution:
    *Enter the bios setup (F1 or Del on boot), disable the option 'Plug n Play OS'.
    *Reason:
    *This will make your bios set up IRQs for you.

In my bios settings there is no way to disable Plug n Play OS, not a option for it.

Any other clues?

I also have a Edimax EW-7108PCg PCI card that works fine. But would like to use the Belkin.

I am using a older Compaq Presario 2199us laptop

Default Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

You're supposed to put your adapter in monitor mode before using airodump-ng:
    Code:
    airmon-ng start wlan1
    Code:
    airodump-ng mon0

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

By the way the second command does not need to end with 'mon0'.
    Be aware that yor system depending on the driver and some configuration will be able either to set monitor-Mode to mon1 or wlan1 or at0 or whatever.

To be 100% sure you should check the output of 'airmon-ng start wlan1' (in case wlan1 is the desired card, you can check the cards by hitting up 'iwconfig' or 'ifconfig' though I'd recomend to use the second one cause due to some not very useful flags that were used while compiling the kernel iwtools seem to be disabled) that will say something like either:
    'wlan1 (driver here) - Monitor mode enabled' - What tells you that it is enabled on the same interface
    or:
    'wlan1 (driver here) -
    monitor mode enabled on mon0' - What tells you that a virtual interface named mon0 was created. In this case just act like Snayler said.

Regards

Default Re: AW: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

Quote Originally Posted by gn0xter View Post
    By the way the second command does not need to end with 'mon0'.
    Be aware that yor system depending on the driver and some configuration will be able either to set monitor-Mode to mon1 or wlan1 or at0 or whatever.
    Thanks for pointing that out. The thing is that I don't use airmon-ng, so I'm not used to it's output. Normally I just run "ifconfig wlan0 down && iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor && ifconfig wlan0 up", which I have contained on a alias (just need to write "wlan0mon" to run those 3 commands).

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable on USB nework adaptor

Ok, so i type in "airmon-ng start wlan1"

I get:

Found1 processed that could cause trouble, Ect. Ect.

PID Name
    1495 dhclient3

Interface...........Chipset .............Driver
    wlan1............... RTL8187............r8187SIOCSIFFAGS: Resources temporarily unavailable
    (monitor mode enabled)

I kill process 1495 and run airmon-ng start wlan1 and get the same output without the process warning

what am I doing wrong?

Also, if I go to Kinfocenter under Network Information/Network Interfaces all that is listed is 'lo'.

Under device information/USB devices the Belkin card is listed.

Thanks

Bill

Have you tried running "ifconfig wlan1 up" before running airmon-ng?

Just burned his ISO

I get a error when trying that command.

I got my Alfa AWUS036H today so problem solved, but would have been nice to know why it wouldn't work.

Try to run "dmesg" after connecting the USB adapter, then check for errors.

Just burned his ISO

When I run 'dmesg' I get the following.

bt.JPG