Thread: Alfa AWUS036H Slow Internet

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H Slow Internet

Hi,

Recently I purchased an Alfa AWUS036H to use with BT5 and Windows 7.

I was impressed with the improvements in signal and number of APs it found. I have one major problem and that is the throughput speed. I connected to my router and was able to achieve a download speed of 1-2mbps! My internet speed is around 18mbps and I can achieve this easily with an older Edimax USB adaptor. Browsing websites is painstakingly slow and sometimes fails to load pages with the AWUS036H!

I connected to my brothers router which is 2 house apart and connected with full bars but the internet problem was same as above.

I tried using a USB splitter cable, used the drivers on the CD, Windows update and even drivers from Realtek's website, none of this helped.

Can someone please help me with some ideas on how to fix this?

Is this type of throughput normal for this chipset?

Thanks in advance.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Alfa AWUS036H Slow Internet

Strange..I have the same piece of equipment (Alfa) and it works fine....I would highly recommend to use the "Y" USB cable...I had some disconnections evrey now and then...Power issue...So I used the "Y" inside the box...

You do not need to install the Alfa driver, it works out of the box...Now you will have to uninstall the driver you installed...This driver you installed is not patched and you will not be able to use aircrack suite..

Other than that, I do not see any other problem in your set up..

If both windows and BT5 have the same issue, I would start to see suspect on a device problem....

Luck..

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Alfa AWUS036H Slow Internet

Thank you for your input.

I tried BT5 without installing any drivers and it does work out-of-box with aircrack BUT the problem is when it connects to ANY network the internet speed is very slow. Even when browsing sites, such as this site a single page can take up to 30 seconds to load. Sometimes pages even fail to load altogether.

I am going to return this device for a refund as I have spent a week messing around without any success. I have so far tried 2 computers and 2 laptops with BT5, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows XP and Windows 7 and they all have the exact problem.