Thread: Wireshark Issues - Won't Open

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireshark Issues - Won't Open

Hey, guys.

I'm relatively new to linux, but I've been excelling and discovering back track 5 for the last few days.
    I studying computer science in university, and just recently ordered Vivek Ramachandran's "BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing."

I'm having issues with wireshark. I literally cannot open the application. I've tried opening it through the traditional "Applications" thread, opening it from the share/applications, and uninstall/reinstall through apt-get.
    Still won't open.
    I don't get any type of error messages or anything.

I'll mention that I downloaded back track through a USB, in case that changes anything.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Wireshark Issues - Won't Open

hello,

two things: i'm unsure of what you mean when you say you downloaded b|t "through a usb". do you mean you downloaded the b|t ISO file to an external usb harddrive? or do you mean you downloaded the ISO,used something like unetbootin to deliver the image to a bootable usb flash/pen drive and then installed it onto a hdd installation? maybe provide more details on how you downloaded the backtrack iso file and created your "installation" on whatever media.

that being said, I would also highly recommend you use either Sickness' BT5 upgrade tool, or bt5up by Maxfx. you can find either by searching the forums and upgrade to the newest version of wireshark. wireshark upgrade and functionality works flawlessly using either;although the bundled version of wireshark should work within b|t 5 "out of the box". if neither of these do not work, I would recommend reviewing your original installation methods and leaving more specific details for someone to help you out with.

hope this helps.

c

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    hello,

two things: i'm unsure of what you mean when you say you downloaded b|t "through a usb". do you mean you downloaded the b|t ISO file to an external usb harddrive? or do you mean you downloaded the ISO,used something like unetbootin to deliver the image to a bootable usb flash/pen drive and then installed it onto a hdd installation? maybe provide more details on how you downloaded the backtrack iso file and created your "installation" on whatever media.

that being said, I would also highly recommend you use either Sickness' BT5 upgrade tool, or bt5up by Maxfx. you can find either by searching the forums and upgrade to the newest version of wireshark. wireshark upgrade and functionality works flawlessly using either;although the bundled version of wireshark should work within b|t 5 "out of the box". if neither of these do not work, I would recommend reviewing your original installation methods and leaving more specific details for someone to help you out with.

hope this helps.

c
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I used unetbootin to burn the ISO file on a bootable USB.
    Going through the apt-get command, I saw that wireshark was already at its latest version.

Do you have any ideas as to why it won't work at all, and wireshark specifically? I'm not having problems with any other applications (not that I've noticed, anyway).
    Also, there weren't any notable error messages in my installation.

to quickly cover a few possibly miscommunicated points;

you created a bootable usb drive using unetbootin to deliver the ISO to it. you do not make mention of creating a persistent installation usb drive. meaning simply, no changes made once the OS is booted into memory are saved upon reboot to the usb device.

if you use apt-get to grab wireshark from the b|t repository, you will be at version 1.6.4. while the latest "Stable release" is v1.6.5. on wireshark.org. if you use either of the b|t upgrade scripts I mentioned; you should land at the dev release at v1.7.1 or so.
    the bt updgrade scripts by sickness and maxfx are both very easy to use and extremely helpful timesavers... if the changes being made to the system are actually going to be saved within a hdd b|t installation or persistent bootable usb.

i'd be willing to guess you are possibly skipping over something very simple/innocuous, such as a broken link/shortcut. i always just fire up wireshark with a root@bt:# wireshark command inside a shell.

Just burned his ISO

Just got it to work through the maxfx update.
    Thanks a lot!

Just burned his ISO

Hey i've the same problem I hope it will get fix, btw here is the lines when i try to lunch Wireshark with the terminal :

Code:
    root@bt:~# wireshark
    wireshark: error while loading shared libraries: libwsutil.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    root@bt:~# sudo apt-get install wireshark
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    wireshark is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libecryptfs0 libdmraid1.0.0.rc16 libdebconfclient0 ecryptfs-utils cryptsetup rdate bogl-bterm libdebian-installer4 reiserfsprogs dmraid python-pyicu
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@bt:~# wireshark
    wireshark: error while loading shared libraries: libwsutil.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory