Thread: Problems with loading web pages

Just burned his ISO

Default Problems with loading web pages

So, I'm not sure if this is a problem specific to backtrack, or to do with my browser, so I'm asking for advice in both relevant places. I have the problem on two different laptops, both of them booting from an installed backtrack 5 OS, but they both also run the same browser (firefox). The problem is when I connect to the internet, everything works fine for a while, then after (roughly) 5 or so minutes, web pages cease to load. Wicd still reports that I'm connected, and other programs (such as irc, as one example) still work fine. I've tried navigating to an IP, as opposed to to a domain name, but to no avail. In the same vein, I've also tried pinging some IP addresses (google, youtube), but I get reports of 100% packet loss.
    Sometimes, when web pages stop loading, if I refresh once or twice, the site will load as normal. This delays the problem for maybe another minute, two maximum, before sites will fail to load once again - this time, it will remain this way until I disconnect/reconnect.
    I didn't have this problem with BT5 to begin with, though I can't think of anything specific that I could have installed that might have brought this problem on. The problem persists despite what network I'm connected to, as I've tried my home connection, work connection, as well as those of friends - all to the same effect. If I disconnect, then reconnect, the problem resets; I get another 5 or so minutes of browsing, before web pages cease to load once again.
    Well, here's hoping someone here can help me with this,

Thanks,
    locke7

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Problems with loading web pages

Sounds like a flaky network card to me. Are you connecting via wire, or wireless? Also, what are the specs on your laptops? Do you have another network card you can test in these machines?
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: Problems with loading web pages

The problem is when I connect to the internet, everything works fine for a while, then after (roughly) 5 or so minutes, web pages cease to load. Wicd still reports that I'm connected,
    I had this same problem with Firefox and Backtrack 5 R1. In WICD make sure you are only connecting to the Wired or Wireless network as default and not both. If it is only connecting to one I found doing the following helped my situation (Note Wired is my default connection):

1) Reboot
    2) Login (DO NOT startx)
    3) dpkg-reconfigure wicd d
    4) update-rc.d wicd defaults
    5) Reboot login and startx then then go into WICD setup your main connection as default connection and try again.

Good Luck and hope this helps

Default Re: Problems with loading web pages

I'm with scottm99 seems like your network cards (or maybe your router/switch) is flakey. I'm guessing that since you said disconnect and reconnect (vs. plug/unplug) you're using wireless on both machines. I suggest trying a wired connection and see if you still have the same problem.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.