Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to install VMware Server on BT2 (Step by Step)

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Hey guys

Great tut balding_parrot a1 I have a couple of questions.

1) How do you get sound lol ?

I'm getting a busy device error

2) How are you transfering files to and from vmware? ftp ?? putty??

Heres my install of vmware server

Thank you

1. I just added a sound device.

2. install VMware tools and you can drag and drop.

come on balding give me credit lol I aint that thick hahaha!

No I was getting an error like "Cannot load sound dev/dsp is currently busy".

I actually got stuck in today and it was because you have to set your sound to be shared over a network in arts settings. And for some reason vmware tools button is greyed out ???

cheers

Just burned his ISO

it works great!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    come on balding give me credit lol I aint that thick hahaha!

No I was getting an error like "Cannot load sound dev/dsp is currently busy".

I actually got stuck in today and it was because you have to set your sound to be shared over a network in arts settings. And for some reason vmware tools button is greyed out ???

cheers
    Well I was only telling what I had to do to get it working, that's all

And on the transfering files etc, I saw from your screenshot that you had not installed vm tools which is why I suggested that, also by doing that, it helps with things like sound, display and other things.

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem on STEP 4

Hi everybody,

Some introduction before I explain the problem.

I recently installed backtrack 2 successfully on my notebook after months of idleness and not willingness to deal with problems that will occur while learning/using linux. Now I'm ready and I'm trying new things.

So here it is:

I followed the tutorial from balding_parrot (thank you very much) step by step, rebooted when I had to, and on STEP 4 after typing vmware-install.pl and going through the 'easy' questions BEFORE get to the

Before running VMware Server for the first time, you need to configure it by invoking the following command: “/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl” . Do you want this program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

I was asked if want to create a directory in /etc/ (had vmware in the name, as long as I can remember) because it doesn't existed and was apparently needed for the setup completion. I choose yes and it came up with an error that /etc/vmware/ .... (I can't remember what was the name) doesn't existed and that type of things. After I quited the setup I deleted the directories of the newly partly installed files (vmware and the other one containing vmware... in the /etc. Again I followed the steps from the beggining and when prompted to answer exactly the same question I wondered for a moment what else can I do and hit enter after realizing that there's nothing else I'm aware of that can help right now. And as I you might guess I got the same error ... But why, o, why didn't I noted what exactly was stated?! However, after I turned off properly the next time I started the machine before coming to the point to log in I got the following errors:

WARNING: your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno field. I will kludge around things for you, but you should fix your /etc/fstab file as soon as you can.
    /sbin/e2fsck: is a directory trying to open /
    /:

The superblock could not be read or doesn't create a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and

it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running ef2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

-----------------------------------------------
    An error occurred during the root filesystem check
    You will now be given a chance to log into the system in single-user mode to fix the problem
    ---------------------------------------------------

If you are using ext2 filesystem, running ef2check -v -y <partition> might help

type control-d to proceed with normal startup:
    (or give root password for system maintenance)

# I typed my password and ..

Entering System Maintenance Mode

/dev/console: Read-only file system
    (none)/#

#I tried startx, but here it comes another error

hostname: Host name lookup failure
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line 135: cannot create temp file for here document: Read-only file system
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file //.Xauthority
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line 147: cannot create temp file for here document: Read-only file system
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line 147: cannot create temp file for here document: Read-only file system

Fatal server error:
    could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

NET: Registered protocol family 10
    lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    giving up.

/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Network unreachable (errno 101): unable to connect to X server
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Since there's a lot of information I simply don't understand and can't get the picture of the whole problem, I'm turning to you for help. Whatever info you need, let me now.. THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION

Developer

Did you apply the patch? the first time it asks you to run the .pl script your supposed to say no and then apply the patch and then when it asks you to run it do it again. It is also noteworty to mention that the patch BP refers to is no out of date. I think the one he used was 110 or somthing and the most recent is 114. I just did a fresh install w/ the newest patch and every thing went fine just change the file name in the commands. BP may have some insight as to those errors so dont give up yet. He went through a lot of crap and errors to get this going so look for his reply.

did you change anything in your fstab file? If you can get to the screen before x loads type

Code:
    nano /etc/fstab
    and check everything points to the right stuff, if not edit to suit. If you need further assistance with this file post back and i'l explain more.

I can't remember if the backtrack2 live cd generates that file. You could try booting from the live cd and copy the /etc/fstab file to /mnt/***/etc *** replace with your bt hdd

OMG where do I start...........

I don't think everything is lost yet, but we will need some more information.

Can you post your /etc/fstab file.

Also

Can you post how your HDD is partitioned, what file system each partition is and what the HDD is assigned as, eg hda sda etc.

All of those errors seem to point to an improper shutdown, but not necessarily, as they could be a result of missing out the patch.

Once we have that fixed, then it may be possible to fix your VMware install. From what you have written, it looks like you said yes at the point where you should have said no and then run the patch (there is a note which says that that file gets updated often, and the latest version will probably be different).

So if you can provide the info I asked for, we can see if we can get that part of it fixed first, and if we can then we will tackle VMware after.

I do think there is a reasonably good chance of fixing this, and it shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks purehate and dr_green, it looks to me like you are both on the right track with this, and I am sure that either of you will see the problem, once the information is supplied.

Yes, I did go through a lot of crap, errors and went to hell and back finding a way to get this working, but IMHO it was worth all of it, as I am sure you would agree.

Just burned his ISO

Well, here it is the info.

1. My /etc/fstab file is empty..
    2. I have only backtrack installed, there are three primary partitions:
    sda1 - 64M, for boot.
    sda2 - 2048M, for the swap.
    sda3 - 11Gigs, for the root partition, ext3 filesystem
    The rest of the space is unassigned(free).

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast