Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to install VMware Server on BT2 (Step by Step)

Quote Originally Posted by Paton View Post
    Hmmm, I'm wondering if in the runme.pl, if you commented out the need for them Perl diagnostic report, if you'd need the extra Perl instal.

I had did it once, and ran into the read write issue, and forgot about chmod'n the orginal install script...

I'll give it ago latter i will.
    I have thought the same, but as it is such a very small and simple step I didn't think it was worth the effort, plus this would make it more complicated for the n00bs.

I do however think the inetd/xinetd process can possibly be spoofed in the same kind of way that the rc.d pam.d part can, but have not yet had the time or patience to look into this. I will look into this at a later date, but too much catching up to do at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paton View Post
    I'll give it ago latter i will.
    Hmmm..... is your real name Yoda by any chance.

Thank you for your input on this, it does makes a pleasant change to be able to discuss something like this with someone.

Haha.... didn't even realize I wrote that.........

I enjoy discussing anything other than wep cracking.... It's so 2004

yeap here we go again...

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Can never get past this part. Please God, just someone please tell me what I need to do here. I've tried and tried and can never seem to get past this part. So close and haven't thrown my laptop yet or punched the screen.. I have a thinkpad so that would be a costly vent session.

Thx,

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    yeap here we go again...

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Can never get past this part. Please God, just someone please tell me what I need to do here. I've tried and tried and can never seem to get past this part. So close and haven't thrown my laptop yet or punched the screen.. I have a thinkpad so that would be a costly vent session.

Thx,
    I asked in the first post that anyone that has a problem, should, as this is a long process, refer to the the exact step where the problem occurs.

I am assuming that you are talking about STEP 4 ------ VMWARE SERVER INSTALL pt1 in which case you should just accept the location that the install gives you.

This has worked for several people without any issues, with the exception of one person that needed to do a chmod on one file, but that has been fixed even though it is not required by everyone.

The only other suggestion I can give is did you reboot at the point stated.

Other than that, I have no idea, All I know is that it does work, as others have shown.

Hi balding_parrot,

thank's a lot for this great howto and I am soon going to try it myself.

Did you use the server-version of VMWare because it's given
    for free? My believe was that using Windows based VM's
    (used as client OS's is) are preforming very bad under VMWare-
    Server .. Is that not the case?

Thank's for your feedback!

John

Yes I used it because it was free and it was something that everyone could get.
    Any OS run as a VM is going to suffer a performance hit, but for what most people are going to need to use this for, it is not really going to make much difference. Any performance issues beyond that, I can't say that I have noticed too much.

Hey, thanks a lot for the tutorial again. I have been using vmware with xp for a while since I followed your install tutorial a few weeks ago. However recently when I rebooted I guess this message when starting xp. It was working before, any idea on how to fix it?

THanks for all of your hard work balding_parrot!

Quote Originally Posted by -`Joseph`- View Post
    Hey, thanks a lot for the tutorial again. I have been using vmware with xp for a while since I followed your install tutorial a few weeks ago. However recently when I rebooted I guess this message when starting xp. It was working before, any idea on how to fix it?

THanks for all of your hard work balding_parrot!
    Nice to hear you like it and it has been working for you, but sorry to hear you are now having problems.

Going on the error message, it would appear that either you have not upped the card before starting vmware, or you may have changed the network card settings for the VM.
    Mine is still working the same as it was when installed, so .... I'm not sure.
    Did you install VM tools (I did)?

Yes, I installed vmware tool, and my internet for bt was working fine... Hmm, I tihnk I know the problem, when I rebooted by ethernet nic switched from eth0 to eth1. Anyway to switch it back...?

Quote Originally Posted by -`Joseph`- View Post
    Yes, I installed vmware tool, and my internet for bt was working fine... Hmm, I tihnk I know the problem, when I rebooted by ethernet nic switched from eth0 to eth1. Anyway to switch it back...?
    There is a discussion on the forums on how to do that, but I don't remember where, except it was in the last couple of weeks.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast