Thread: VNC Server Connection Issue

Just burned his ISO

Default VNC Server Connection Issue

I've spent a couple of hours on this and I'm stuck. My background is in networking and not servers. I installed BT 5r1 on my home VMware server. Console works great but is a pain every time I want to work on BT. I installed packages vnc4server and tightvnc on BT and started the process. On my Win7 client, I have installed the viewers VNC and tightVNC. Neither will connect. Netstat -nap on BT shows that it is listening on port 5901. When I run Wireshark on Win7, it shows the clients trying to connect on 5900. BT responds with rst/ack and kills the connection. The clients do not have a config option for changing the port and I don't know how to do it in Linux. I don't care how I connect VNC, RDP, etc... what is the easiest way for a beginner to get a remote console?

Thank you.

Default Re: VNC Server Connection Issue

Have you...g0tmi1k?

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your reply. I was able to get VNC to connect by adding a ':1' to the end of the IP address. All I could see was a grey screen though. I then edited a file to remove two commented lines and changed some permissions and I was able to see the screen. My problem now is that the screen resolution is off (I think) because the desktop is fuzzy and there is some white noise in the toolbar. I'm going to fool around with the resolutions some more and if that does not work, I will try the ssh connection you suggested.

Just burned their ISO

[QUOTE=Sesam3;213004] I then edited a file to remove two commented lines and changed some permissions and I was able to see the screen. My problem now is that the screen resolution is off (I think) because the desktop is fuzzy and there is some white noise in the toolbar.
    I am having a similar issue. All we see is the white screen : could you please provide more details on which lines you commented and changed permissions to be able to see the screen? Thanks in advance!