Thread: Books to begin with

Just burned his ISO

Question Books to begin with

Hey folks,

I have just ordered a few books to start my journey into penetration testing and I'd like some input as to which others I should get, I want to focus on wireless but I'm not going to pigeon hole myself. So far I have ordered Backtrack 5 wireless pen testing, the basics of hacking and penetration testing, professional penetration testing, wardriving and wireless penetration testing, wardriving: drive, detect, defend, Ninja hacking, gray hat hacking 3rd, and hacking wireless networks for dummies. Just some light reading to begin with And I'm currently reading the lpic-1 study guide and the metasploit penetration tester's guide. I don't know if this is enough to start with, but if I'm missing something feel free to add something.

Thanks and I love this site, learning a hell of a lot.

Gerald

Default Re: Books to begin with

Although learning to attack (and defend) is great fun, I suspect a profound understanding of the basics is essential to gaining real expertise. Not a book, but this site http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/ is a great place to start, especially the chapter on Linux Wireless Networking.

Also bookmark http://code.google.com/p/pentest-boo.../BookmarksList
    Last edited by VulpiArgenti; 01-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Since you need at least basic linux skills to begin with I suggest: Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, Second Edition

You need an understanding of networking: Networking Bible

and

TCP/IP Illustrated: Volume 1 2nd Edition:

You need some hacking knowledge like CEH: CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide

or

CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide

Also,

Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

This is all to begin with. When you have read this you could move on to more difficult books like Gray Hat Python and shellcoders handbook, etc.

Don't forget that there is lots of free stuff on the internet as well so don't go spending all your money on books...

And last, download virtualbox or vmware player and experiment on vulnerable machines. There is nothing like hands-on training....
    Last edited by cgelici; 01-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    ================================================
    I'm not supposed to take stuff from the strangers...My dad said so.
    Very wise of your dad, very wise indeed. I am Christian the Dancing Clown, you are "curl ifconfig.me", so now we know eachother, correct ?
    Oooh yes, they ALL FLOAT !!!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the links guys, I do have some basic linux skills, and I mean basic. I have played with linux since I first found it in 94/95 but I didn't focus on it because at the time there was a lack of software compatible with linux. over the years I must have installed it 20-30 times, the wife doesn't like it so I've had to remove it for her, even though I showed her how easy KDE is to use. I have virtualbox setup in windows with Backtrack and XP sp3 setup on it but my main is Backtrack. Usually I'm the guy who jumps in with both feet, but this time I'm going slow. I've been reading all I can on here and have been watching the SecurityTube.net videos. I like to know the why of something and not just the how. I usually have trouble completing projects I start and the wife usually rags on me, but this time she went out and bought me a laptop for Christmas and she's supporting me all the way this time.

Anyways I've gone way off topic, I'll be sure to check out those sites and books. I'm a complete noob and appreciate all the advice you guys give.

Oh yeah off topic again I went without a swap drive, I have 6 gig of ram, will there be stability problems, I read all sorts of differing opinions.

I like to know the why of something and not just the how.
    Sometimes you have to drive the car to understand how the engine works. (While studying the engine of course)
    Very wise of your dad, very wise indeed. I am Christian the Dancing Clown, you are "curl ifconfig.me", so now we know eachother, correct ?

I like to know the why of something and not just the how.
    Sometimes you have to drive the car to understand how the engine works. (While studying the engine of course)