Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujitsu Siemens S7110 - Atheros AR5006EG WLAN Card

Just burned his ISO

Default Fujitsu Siemens S7110 - Atheros AR5006EG WLAN Card

Hi all,

I wouldnt say I'm much of a Linux noob, but then compared to most on this forum, I'm confident I'm lacking.

The situation is that I have a Fujitsu-Siemens S7110 WB1 as my laptop which has an internal 'Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Networking Adapter'.

I've been trawling the net and these forums to have this card work correctly with BackTrack2. At the moment when I boot into BackTrack2(Final), the card works and is recognised as an Atheros card but after about 5 minutes of usage it simply stops.

When I say it stops, I mean that the card is still there and present, but I am unable to send/receive any packets from it and so I am unable to do anything with it.

Rebooting fixes the problem.

I have been unable to find any linux references to this chipset, and I have come to the conclusion that it is under the guise of another chipset because it works out-of-box with the atheros driver provided with BackTrack2.

Can anyone assist with my woes?

Thanks all in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Have since discovered by referencing the Madwifi site that this card goes under the chipset guise of the AR2423.

Is there anyone that can assist?

Default ndiswrapper

You might find Windows drivers here:

http://list.driverguide.com/list/company2100/

then wrap it with ndiswrapper

It deploys as a new style single chip interface which suggests dependability on the Windows Operating System memory and driver code.

You might purchase a pcmcia card and disable the built-in chipset temporarily.
    Lux sit

You might find Windows drivers here:

http://list.driverguide.com/list/company2100/

then wrap it with ndiswrapper
    It should be noted that the Aircrack suite doesn't support ndiswrapper...so WEP/WPA attacks aren't possible

Just burned his ISO

Hi,
    I'm really hoping to use this card to hack my workplaces WEP in order to prove to my superiors that WEP is not the way forward.

Is there no alternative to using ndiswrapper?

Thanks for all your help.

Default new card

My advice:
    1. Obtain written permission from your employer specifically to conduct this type of activity.
    2. Ask your employer to buy a new card for you, typically one of those listed elsewhere in this site.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    My advice:
    1. Obtain written permission from your employer specifically to conduct this type of activity.
    2. Ask your employer to buy a new card for you, typically one of those listed elsewhere in this site.
    1. I'm the Network Admin here, so I've gained permission.
    2. I'm not sure that buying a new card for this project is viable, which is why I'm trying to make my existing hardware work correctly. I managed to get hold of a HP nx6110 laptop which has a broadcom WLAN card in, but it seems that one does not support packet injcection even though it works perfectly otherwise.

Additionally, I'm unable to find a list of 'Preferred cards', but I have seen many chipset and device lists to determine which work and which dont... Is there a particular place (Perhaps on this site) which has a list of cards that I can confidently say 'Works best with...' or something along those lines?

Default cards

You are the Network Administrator, ask these questions, need evidence to upgrade from WEP and cannot justify a $50 card purchase? I am surprised and will therefore not keep you from your duties!

Your card list was posted by a Senior Member, shamanvirtuel, a link appears at the top of the Newbie page as well you know.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

You are the Network Administrator, ask these questions, need evidence to upgrade from WEP and cannot justify a $50 card purchase? I am surprised and will therefore not keep you from your duties!

Your card list was posted by a Senior Member, shamanvirtuel, a link appears at the top of the Newbie page as well you know.
    Unfortunately, due to working in a non-profit educational establishment pretty much everything spent is scritinised and management who arnt as 'technically involved' (As I prefer to put it) dont see the point in such an expense if its essentially to 'break' something that (as far as theyre concerned) 'works'.

Feel my pain?

I've managed to have a dig around though, and I've found an Edimax EW-7128G and Belkin F5D7000. Both are PCI cards that I'd have to stick in my bench machine, and they both show up as 'supported' on the list of PCI cards in the newbie area (I have checked pretty much all available hardware against that list), however, I seem to be having an issue getting the EW-7128G to correctly work with kismet.

It mounts in BT2 as ra0 but it seems unable to 'do' anything.

Thanks again.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I would agree with this. If your superiors can't take your word for it without you actually cracking WEP (as there are dozens of news articles about it if you search for them) then your superiors must not have much faith in your abilities as a Network Admin.

I'm an Admin as well, and I've never had to prove a point on anything. Being the admin means that your word should be trusted on the best way to proceed in securing and ensuring the integrity of the network.

Here ya go: Print these articles and give them to your people, should be enough evidence and you don't need to spend money or waste time.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast