Thread: how to install a wifi driver?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question how to install a wifi driver?

I got a really nice and small USB wifi adapter. Chipset Ralink RT5370, lsusb says 148f:5370.
    Ralink provides a driver, but I do not understand the instructions - it seems I have to rebuild the whole kernel and I don't have the ressources for that. Besides I want to use injection stuff and doubt it works with those ones.

http://linuxwireless.org/News/2011-0...t=%28rt5370%29
    says this Chipset is supported. Unfortunately when I boot BT5 from DVD it does not install a driver automatically.

As far as I understand simply installing compat-wireless won't do it since I also have to apply patches. But which ones? there are hundreds on
    http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/

Which ones do I need - if any - and how do I get this adapter running? Are there any step by step instructions anywhere or videos?

Keep in mind I boot from DVD and have to get any additional files offline via USB stick, download them on a windows PC. It would be nice if I could write all commands into a "batchfile" so I don't have to type half an hour after every reboot to get it up and running again.

Thanks for any hints in the right direction!

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: how to install a wifi driver?

I know this is old but i got it working with bt5r1

I have absolutley no linux experience "really only as much as a newb " so as a pc dev of drivers i wanted to read the makefile and noticed it was not looking in the right directories for some reason and was missing Module.symvers in my /usr/src/linux when compiling the first time; i do know a few things unix so i used:

Code:
    locate Module.symvers
    cp "dir without quotes where found" /usr/src/linux
    I tried changing the following in the makefile with after using locate to locate some of the requirements of the makefile

Code:
    LINUX_SRC =/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
    to
    LINUX_SRC =/usr/src/linux
    and below it:

Code:
    LINUX_SRC =/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    to
    LINUX_SRC =/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless
    ran
    Code:
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt5370sta
    and now it works in Wicd after changing the preferences for wlan0 to Ra0 I can connect and it works
    Last edited by extraweb1; 02-26-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: cleared up spelling and made accurate