Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone's stealing my internet and I wanna prank em

Default Someone's stealing my internet and I wanna prank em

Someone's connected to my AP, and I don't want to just kick them off. I definitely don't want to do anything malicious, but I want to at least scare them so they don't steal my internet (whoever it is downloads huge files and it's pissing me off).

I can get his aim from sniffing packets so one thing I wanted to do is IM him and tell him something about his computer.

Is there a way I can view his desktop? take a screen cap of it and send it to him, or do something like send some sort of message to his computer as a popup (just saying get off my internets) or add a text file to his desktop?

just something fun to do, if you have an idea other than the above mentioned, let me know!
    *nothing malicious or viruses

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    Someone's connected to my AP, and I don't want to just kick them off. I definitely don't want to do anything malicious, but I want to at least scare them so they don't steal my internet (whoever it is downloads huge files and it's pissing me off).

I can get his aim from sniffing packets so one thing I wanted to do is IM him and tell him something about his computer.

Is there a way I can view his desktop? take a screen cap of it and send it to him, or do something like send some sort of message to his computer as a popup (just saying get off my internets) or add a text file to his desktop?

just something fun to do, if you have an idea other than the above mentioned, let me know!
    *nothing malicious or viruses
    So you want to prevent a crime by committing one yourself?

Have you thought about that?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

You could try wep for a change...
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Default turn it off

Rethink your motives and why you are writing here.

Change your encryption/access to wpa2.

Complicity in knowingly permitting use of a connection may infringe your own contract with your service provider.

If it is a business line then you might also think about your mission and objectives.

Turn it off.
    Lux sit

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So you want to prevent a crime by committing one yourself?

Have you thought about that?
    How is it illegal? He's on my AP.

I thought if it's my internet and he's on my AP, I can sniff his packets at least?

It's not like I'm doing anything that's gonna harm him. Heck, windows 95 had a function that you could use to communicate with others computers, and that's all I'm asking to do. If Windows had the function implimented onto their operating system, I'm sure what I want to do isn't illegal.

I'm not asking how to change things on his computers

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post

Complicity in knowingly permitting use of a connection may infringe your own contract with your service provider.

If it is a business line then you might also think about your mission and objectives.

Turn it off.
    Not only that but counter hacking someone is just as wrong as the person that's doing the original Hack.

Your best bet, collect all the evidence that you can, and then report them to the proper authorities.

If they're using your connection, chances are eventually some information will pass that will identify who it is. Capture all packets, and then have them arrested.

But do not step down to their level and hack them back.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post

Turn it off.
    I'm going to (WPA RADIUS or something like that) but before that, I wanna scare him or prank him.

Am I able to redirect internet traffic to him so popups come on his computer or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    How is it illegal? He's on my AP.

I thought if it's my internet and he's on my AP, I can sniff his packets at least?

It's not like I'm doing anything that's gonna harm him. Heck, windows 95 had a function that you could use to communicate with others computers, and that's all I'm asking to do. If Windows had the function implimented onto their operating system, I'm sure what I want to do isn't illegal.

I'm not asking how to change things on his computers
    Legally, you can sniff the traffic on your network, but by attacking his machine, (even connecting to it) enters into a very grey area of the law and could put you on the wrong side of it. Gather evidence, when you have enough, turn him in, but do not by any means connect to his machine.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Legally, you can sniff the traffic on your network, but by attacking his machine, (even connecting to it) enters into a very grey area of the law and could put you on the wrong side of it. Gather evidence, when you have enough, turn him in, but do not by any means connect to his machine.
    iTunes connects to their machine to access music and play them off his machine, how is doing something in backtrack that windows 95 was able to do illegal?

Sending a message through popup (it was the VERY old school of IM)

What I'm wanting to do isn't illegal, as I've said, iTunes connects to his machine, Windows 95-2000 I believe has a way to IM through popups, so nothings illegal in what I want to do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast