Thread: Trouble with Live CD / Installing Macbook Pro

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Trouble with Live CD / Installing Macbook Pro

I am trying to install BT5R1. I have a macbook pro late 2008 15". The only live cd menu option that will load to the bt5 console for me is the no drm option. All the other options experience some kind of hangup during the loading process after the splash screen. Unfortunately the graphics glitch makes the screen unreadable to find out what the last loaded process was.

I tried to install from the no drm option, but i experience the hang on reboot as well.

BT5 works just fine in virtual box for me, except i have no access to my wireless. When loading from the no drm option, bt5 seems to work fine as well. Would love any help anyone has on successfully installing?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Trouble with Live CD / Installing Macbook Pro

Hey Sammystevens,

I was in a similar problem, I too have a MBP. In the end I just installed it via VMware. The reason you can get wireless is because the VM detects it as an 'ethernet' connection. Ive just bought a recommended wifi adapter off eBay for not that much.
    I know this doesn't really help with installing it, but I thought id add my two cents to see if it is a route you could go down. Saved me a massive headache

Chris

Just burned his ISO

I am trying to edit the grub file to include the 'nomodeset' modifier, because as far as i can tell that is the single difference. Is there any obvious way to tell which grub file my computer is loading on startup. I have xubuntu installed as well, and both have a grub file that is slightly different, but both include the backtrack 5 information within them. I have added the nomodeset command into the files, but i still see the same error.

Just burned his ISO

That ended up being the solution, i had to force nomodeset into the command line in the grub files to get it to install and run everytime consistantly. If you were interested i had to boot into xubuntu, find the specific partition, open in terminal, and sudo gedit grub.cfg

Scroll through and identify the backtrack 5 menu line, it will have ..."splash vga=791" at the end of the command line. I inserted nomodeset into the line so it read "splash nomodeset vga=791".

Saved and rebooted, and it successfully loads now. Good luck to you.