Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bachktrack stopped scanning after closing the notebook

Just burned his ISO

Default Bachktrack stopped scanning after closing the notebook

Hi,

after i closing the notebook under bt5, it stops the scan. i would like to change it.
    I changed some power settings to Performance, but without success.

i use a acer aspire 3810, perhaps anybody can help.

thanks

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Bachktrack stopped scanning after closing the notebook

Are you running BT in a virtual machine under Windows? If so, you may need to change your power management settings in Windows. If you're running BackTrack natively (either in dual-boot configuration, or installed by itself) take a look at your BIOS settings. There might be a "sleep on close" or something similar that you need to change.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Aerobas10,

Need to know whether or not this is a VM installation or not. If its not, you can go into the power settings to adjust what happens when you close the lid.

Cheers!
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: Re: Bachktrack stopped scanning after closing the notebook

Hi,

no, BT runs in a dual-boot configuration. The Bios has no energie options. i adjust the power settings, no effect.

Perhaps its a feature from the computer or the network card, the network card has a intel51000 chipset.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Could be...since you've checked the software side, the only thing left is hardware. I'd check the manual for the laptop; if that fails, see what Acer tech support has to say. However, brace yourself for the "We only support Windows on our hardware" response
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Some systems allow the power features associated with closing the lid of laptops to be configured via the BIOS.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

There are also laptops out there with no way to disable this kind of action from software. Most likely a magnet in the display somewhere that is tripping a hall effect sensor on the mobo. See if another magnet is more attracted to one spot on the display than the rest. If so that's where the magnet is located. If you're handy with a screwdriver you can remove it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

I don't know what you're scanning, but is it reasonable to say that you might just leave the lid open while it scans ?
    I think that would settle your problem, unless you really need to close the lid of your laptop while you scan, that is.
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Kinda hard to wardrive on your bike with the laptop open in your backpack.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Kinda hard to wardrive on your bike with the laptop open in your backpack.
    Wouldn't look any worse then when you go back to use the open network(s) and have to sit there with your laptop balanced on yer handlebars.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast